Motorcycle Registration

If you’ve recently bought or been given a motorcycle, moped, scooter, or other motor-driven cycle, you will need to register it with DMV.

To register your motorcycle, you’ll need:

  • Your California Certificate of Title, or the name and address of the lienholder (if you have a loan).
  • Proof of insurance, such as a vehicle liability insurance policy, a DMV-issued self-insurance certificate, or a surety bond of $35,000.00 from a company licensed to do business in California.
  • A valid California motorcycle license.
  • Applicable fees.

Unlike cars or trucks, motorcycles do not require a smog check before registration.

Miniature Motorcycles & Motorized Scooters

Please note that miniature vehicles (also known as mini choppers or pocket bikes) cannot be registered or operated on public streets because they do not meet Federal Safety Standards.

Motorized Scooters can be operated on public streets, but they do not require registration. Riders must be at least 16 years old and possess a valid driver’s license or permit to operate a motorized scooter. Helmets are required for operation. 

Using Your Motorcycle Off-Highway 

If you plan to use your motorcycle off public roads and highways, you must register it as an off-highway vehicle (OHV).

Planned Non-Operation

If you plan to store your motorcycle and do not wish to operate it during the next renewal year, you should apply for the Planned Non-Operation (PNO) (REG 102) of your vehicle. 

Need something else?