Vessel Agent License

Boat Side

You need a vessel agent license to register any watercraft that can be used as a means of transportation on the water.

How to Apply for a Vessel Agent License

Apply for your license and pay your fees online.

To apply for your license, submit the following:

Please mail your completed forms and documents to:

Occupational Licensing Section
PO Box 932342 MS L224
Sacramento, CA 94232-3420

You will also need to undergo a background investigation. 

Quarterly Physical Inventory Report

To maintain your approved vessel agent status, you need to submit a Quarterly Physical Inventory Report (BOAT 124-1) by the 5th of January, April, July, and October of each year. Mail your report to the address on the form.


You can find exceptions to what qualifies as a vessel in California Vehicle Code (CVC) §9840, 1-3.

Vessel agent licensing authority

California Vehicle Code (CVC) §9840. The CVC is available for purchase from DMV.

California Code of Regulations Title 13, Division 1, Chapter 1. Article 3.2 Registration of Vehicles

Looking for information on vessel registration? Visit the Agent’s Handbook for Registration of Undocumented Vessels.

Need something else?