Boat & Vessel Owners

Boat Side

Whether you’re boating on lakes, rivers, or even the ocean, this guide will help you get your feet wet so you know everything you need to know before diving in and setting sail.

In This Guide

Boat/Vessel Registration

Learn what kinds of vessels must be registered, get a hull identification number (HIN) or vehicle registration number (CF number), and more.

Boat/Vessel Registration Renewal

You must renew your boat/vessel registration by December 31 of every odd-numbered year, regardless of how often you use it.

Titles & Transfers

Buying or selling a boat/vessel? Find out what you need to do before, during, and after the sale or purchase.

Boat/Vessel Fees

Review fees related to operating a boat/vessel on California waterways and create an estimate.

Vessel Numbers and CF Numbers

An HIN must be displayed on all vessels registered in California

Forms for Boats/Vessels

From registration forms to vessel verification, find all the boat and vessel related forms DMV has.

Frequently Asked Questions

An undocumented vessel is registered by DMV and does not have a marine certificate issued by the United States (U.S.) Coast Guard.

A documented vessel is registered and issued a marine certificate by the U.S. Coast Guard. It does not require DMV registration. Please see the previous note.

You are required to register your undocumented vessel and pay applicable fees before it is placed in California waters.

Assembly Bill (AB) 2443 (Chapter 485, Statutes of 2012) authorized the California Department of Parks and Recreation, Division of Boating and Waterways to require DMV to collect an additional quagga and zebra mussel infestation prevention fee.

Effective December 31, 2013, this fee is due on all vessels subject to registration in the state. The fee is due upon initial vessel registration and biennially upon vessel registration renewal. Vessels used exclusively in marine waters are exempt from the additional fee. Fee-exempt vessels and CF numbers issued to vessel dealers and manufacturers are exempt from the program.

Funds from this additional fee will be used to, among other things, implement and administer non-native dreissenid mussel monitoring, inspection, and infestation prevention programs.

Unless exempt from the program, a unique identifying sticker will be issued for the vessel as evidence of payment of this fee and must be attached to the vessel. The sticker allows the vessel to be operated in all waters of the state unless expressly prohibited. If your vessel is used exclusively in marine waters, you may claim an exemption from this fee by notifying DMV.

Additional information regarding quagga and zebra mussels is available from the California Department of Parks and Recreation, Division of Boating and Waterways at or by calling 1-888-326-2822.

Regulations Development

The California Department of Parks and Recreation, Division of Boating and Waterways have adopted emergency regulations to establish the procedures for the collection and use of the quagga and zebra mussel infestation prevention fee as required by California Harbors and Navigation Code Chapter 5, Division 3, Article 1.3 §675 through 676 beginning with vessel registration payable on December 31, 2013. These emergency regulations specify how the fee will be collected and the criteria for administering the grants in accordance with the statutes.

For additional information on the requirements of AB 2443, please consult the chaptered version of AB 2443.

To pay the Quagga and Zebra Mussel Infestation fee and obtain a Quagga sticker, please go to the Quagga Sticker Request page.

  • Before applying the decal, wipe down the hull surface and remove any residue or debris.
  • Do not apply decals to a wet surface.
  • Use the center slit to grab the upper corner of the decal.
  • Very slowly peel away the decal, at a sharp angle, from the liner.
  • If the backer liner starts to rip, stop and start to peel away from the other direction.
  • You must remove all the liner backing material for the decal to adhere to the vessel correctly.
  • Apply the decal to the vessel and smooth out any air bubbles.

Need something else?