Commercial Driver License Information
You will need a federal compliant card such as a passport, military ID, or REAL ID to board a domestic flight or access some federal facilities beginning October 1, 2020. The DMV started offering REAL ID driver licenses and ID cards on January 22, 2018. A field office visit is required to apply for a REAL ID.
The California Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Program was enacted in the interest of improving traffic safety on our roadways. As a result, California has developed licensing and testing requirements for drivers of commercial vehicles which equals or exceeds federal standards.
It takes special skills and a professional attitude to safely operate large trucks and buses. Only professional drivers will receive and keep a Commercial Driver License (CDL). A CDL is proof of your professional skills and aptitude.
Commercial Programs and Information
- Employer Pull Notice (EPN) Program
- Motor Carrier Permit (MCP) Program
- CDL program information and how to apply for a license
- Medical Report for Commercial Driver License
- The Commercial Driver License handbook (PDF)
- Sample test questions for Class A and B licenses
- School Bus Study Guide
- Troops to Trucks - Military CDL Driving Test Waiver
- CDL Testing and CLP Standards