The Employer Pull Notice (EPN) program enables commercial and government organizations to monitor the driving records of employees who drive for them. By monitoring their employees’ driving records, organizations can:
- Ensure that each driver has a valid driver license.
- Recognize problem drivers or driving behavior.
- Improve public safety.
- Minimize liability.
How it Works
Each employer enrolled in the EPN program is assigned a requester code. The requester code is added to applicable employees’ driver license records. When an employee’s driver license record is updated due to an action or activity, we make an electronic check to determine if a pull notice is on file. If the action or activity is one that must be reported under the EPN program (see below), a driver record is generated and mailed to the employer.
Action and Activity Reports
Every year on the enrollment date, the EPN program automatically generates and mails a driver record when any of the following actions or activities occurs:
- The driver is enrolled in the EPN program.
- When a driver has any of the following actions or activities added to their driver record:
- Failures to appear (FTAs).
- Driver license suspensions or revocations.
- Any other actions taken against their driving privilege.
Who is Required to Enroll?
Employers must enroll any driver employed to operate any vehicle if:
- The driver is required to have a Commercial Class A or Class B driver license.
- The driver is required to have a Commercial Class C driver license special endorsement (Hazardous Materials, Passenger Vehicles, Tank Vehicles).
- The driver operates passenger vehicles with a seating capacity of 10 or fewer people (including the driver) for compensation by a charter–party passenger carrier.
- The driver works for a passenger stage corporation with a certificate of public convenience and necessity, or permit issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).
These requirements include:
- Owners who own, lease, or otherwise operate more than one motor unit or more than three towed vehicles.
- Owner/operators who have partners.
- Family members and volunteer drivers.
- Individuals employed for more than 30 work days in the preceding six months.
How to Enroll in the EPN Program and Request Records
Commercial and government employers have different steps for enrolling and requesting records:
In order for the EPN program to maintain accurate records, employers must notify DMV in a timely manner whenever they make changes that affect their EPN account, including:
- Changes to the method for making inquiries and receiving responses (online or electronic file transfer).
- Termination of enrolled drivers (per California Vehicle Code (CVC) §1808.1).
- Address changes (mailing and physical).
- Ownership changes (corporate officers, partners).
- Employment changes (new drivers, termination of drivers).
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) changes.
- Telephone number changes.
- Business closing.
- Business sale.
- Company name change.
- Account contact person change.
There are two electronic options to make inquiries and receive reports:
- File transfer: You can use DMV secure file transfer (SFT) system and/or the File Generation system to send inquires and receive reports for prospective new hires, casual drivers, and newly enrolled drivers. There is no additional charge to use these services and minimal technical assistance is required. Contact the Information Services’ Automation Development at CPDADU@dmv.ca.gov for more information.
- Online: Inquires and responses for currently enrolled drivers, prospective new hires, or casual drivers are available through an online provider if you also have a Requester Account. This process is not available for generated driver records. See the list of approved service providers or contact the Account Processing Unit at (916) 657–5564.
Employer Pull Notice Program Requirements (INF 1107)
Employer Pull Notice Program Application (INF 1104)
Commercial Employer Pull Notice Enrollment or Deletion of Drivers (INF 1100)
Authorization for Release of Driver Record Information (INF 1101)
Commercial or Government Employer Pull Notice Enrollment of Out-of-State Licensed Drivers form and Instructions (INF 1102)
Employer Pull Notice Change of Account Information (INF 4)
Request for Closure of Employer Pull Notice Account (INF 1112)
Employer’s Report of Medical Exam Failure/Employer Request for Reexamination of Driver (DS 524)
Government Employer Pull Notice Enrollment or Deletion of Driver (INF 1103)
Information Security Statement (INF 1128)
Request for Driver License/Identification Card Status and Record Information (INF 1119)
Information Services Program Employer Pull Notice Program Agent Authorization (INF 2110)
You can order forms that are not available for download in bulk (more than 25) by faxing your request on letterhead to the DMV Warehouse at (916) 928-6817 or emailing your request to DMVASDPublicForms@dmv.ca.gov. Questions regarding your order request may be directed to DMV Warehouse at (916) 928-7901.
EPN Agents are authorized by DMV to act on the behalf of an EPN account holder. All EPN Agents must use our SFT website for submitting and receiving driver records and adding and deleting drivers from the account holder’s file.
EPN Agents receive record information directly from DMV to perform a specific business function as defined in CVC §1808.1. Use of an EPN Agent does not absolve the employer of responsibility for compliance with the requirements of CVC §1808.1.
Permitting employers to utilize agents does not affect the current procedures for processing EPN requests. It is important that all parties involved understand the EPN Program Requirements (INF 1107).
To utilize the service of an approved EPN Agent, the EPN account holder must complete and sign the EPN Agent Authorization (INF 2110).
If you need assistance, contact the Automation Development Unit at (916) 657–5582.
(866) 342-4280 opt 7
BLUAGENT TECHNOLOGIES, Inc. (bluagent.com)
FOLEY CARRIER SERVICES LLC (foleyservices.com)
Barb Keim (800) 348-4242
VEHICLE LICENSING CONSULTANTS (im4trux.com)
CONCORDE, Inc. (www.concorde2000.com)
LOGAN REGISTRATION SERVICE, Inc. (loganreg.com)
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Administer the EPN program.
- Provide employers and regulatory agencies with a means for promoting driver safety through the ongoing review of driver records.
PO Box 944231
Sacramento, CA 94244–3210
Registration Operations Division
- Administer the Motor Carriers of Property Permit Act.
- Administer the Private Carrier of Passenger (PCP) Program.
- Issue Motor Carrier Permits (MCPs).
PO Box 932370 MS G875
Sacramento, CA 94232–370
California Highway Patrol (CHP)
Commercial Vehicle Section (CVS)
- Enforces EPN program.
- Enforces MCP Permit Act.
- Enforces Household Goods Carrier Act.
PO Box 94289
Sacramento, CA 94289–0001
Public Utilities Commission (PUC)
Rail Safety and Carriers Division, License Section
- Oversee passenger transportation, passenger stage, charter–party carrier.
- Administer the licensing and enforcement of passenger carriers.
505 Van Ness Avenue, 2nd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
For passenger carrier complaints, call 1-800-894-9444.
Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)
Bureau of Household Goods and Services (BHGS)
- Household goods carriers.
- Administer the licensing & enforcement of Household Goods Carriers.
4244 South Market Court, Suite D
Sacramento, California 95834-1243
For household goods carrier complaints, call (833) 488-2327.
Monday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:15 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Department of Motor Vehicles
EPN Program – MS H265
PO Box 944231
Sacramento, CA 94244-2310
EPN cannot accept forms submitted by email. Submit any completed forms to the address on the form.
Need something else?
EPN Program FAQs
Find answers to commonly asked questions about the EPN program, including requirements, driver enrollment, driver records, and more.
Motor Carrier Permits (MCP)
Drivers who transport property, operate large commercial vehicles, transport hazardous materials, etc. also need an MCP.
Contact the Registration Operations Division if you have any questions about the EPN program. We are here to help!