Driver’s Licenses & Identification Cards

Real ID 2

In This Section

Get Your REAL ID

As of the new May 7, 2025 deadline, you will need a REAL ID if you want to use your license to board domestic flights or enter federal facilities.

Renew Your License or ID

It’s important to renew driver’s licenses, ID cards, and provisional instruction permits before they expire. The expiration date is noted on the card. 

Replace Your License or ID

If your driver’s license, ID card, or commercial driver’s license has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you may request a replacement.

Update Info on Your License or ID

Change is inevitable, we know…which is why we’re committed to making it easy for you to ensure your driver’s license/ID card accurately reflects who (and where!) you are.

Instruction Permits

An instruction permit is for individuals who are learning to drive and are working on fulfilling the requirements to get a driver’s license.

Identification Cards

Identification (ID) cards are used to prove your identity or age (like driver’s licenses) but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.

AB 60 Driver's Licenses

AB 60 driver’s licenses are for individuals who are unable to provide proof of legal presence in the United States (U.S.), but who meet California DMV requirements and are able to provide proof of identity and California residency.

Commercial Driver's Licenses

It takes special skills, training, and aptitude to safely operate large trucks and buses. We issue commercial driver’s licenses to ensure that drivers meet our high standards for operating commercial motor vehicles (CMVs).

Preparing for Knowledge & Drive Tests

Before you can get a California driver’s license of any kind, you will need to pass knowledge and driving tests. Here are resources to help you prepare.

Driver's Licenses

You need a valid California driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle. Learn more about the types of driver’s licenses and how to apply.

Motorcycle Licenses

A California motorcycle driver’s license authorizes you to operate a two-wheeled motorcycle, motorized bicycle, moped, or any bicycle with an attached motor.

Licensing Fees

Find fees for applying for, renewing, changing, or replacing your driver’s license or ID card.