Vehicle or Driver’s Records Requests

Online Forms

Did you know you can request vehicle or driver’s records from DMV? DMV maintains the public records of statistical information about vehicle registration (VR), driver’s licenses (DLs), occupational licenses (OLs), and more. You can request this information from DMV and pay a fee to access it.

Confidential information, such as your address or social security number (SSN), is not considered public record, and is therefore not shared.

How to Request Information

To request public information from DMV:

  • By mail:
    • Complete a Request for Your Own Driver’s License/Identification Card (DL/ID) or Vehicle/ Vessel Registration (VR) Information Record (INF 1125) if requesting a record of a vehicle owned by you or your own driving record(s) or to request a copy of microfilm documents the department has on file for specific year.
    • Complete a Request for Record Information (INF 70) if requesting someone else’s driving or vehicle record(s) or to request a copy of microfilm documents the department has on file for a specific year.
    • Include the $5 fee for mail-in record(s) requests for driving or vehicle records.
    • Include the $20 per year fee for mail-in record(s) requests for copies of microfilm documents the department has on file for a specific year. The $20 fee is per year requested – for example, a request for records for 2023 and 2024 will cost $40 total.
    • Mail form(s) and fee to:

      DMV Information Release Unit
      MS G199
      PO Box 944247
      Sacramento, CA 94244-2470
  • By phone:
    • Request records by calling (916) 657-8098

All record requests must include:

  • The record number/title
  • The number of copies you want
  • Business name (if applicable)
  • Telephone number
  • Contact name
  • Street address (cannot be delivered to a PO Box)

Only the following record requests may be submitted by mail:

If you need to request more than 15 records at once, please contact the DMV Materials Management Section.


Fax: (916) 928-6817

DMV Materials Management Section
4201 Sierra Point Dr. Ste. 112
Sacramento, CA 95834-7900

Requests for procedures governing DS hearings must be submitted in writing with a $2 non-refundable fee.

Requests for a copy of a DS document and/or an audio file must be submitted in writing with a $115 nonrefundable fee.

Mail to:
Litigation Services Unit, MS J256
2570 24th Street
Sacramento, CA 95818-7010
Phone: (916) 657-8431

Request TypeFee
Transcription fee (per page)$5.00
Exhibit copy (per side)*$0.10
Micrographic copy (per page)*$0.20
CD/audio recording (per CD/audio file)$6.00
Certification (transcription/exhibit/administrative record)$12.00
*Plus clerical fee (per quarter hour)$6.00

To request FR information, an uninsured motorist certificate, or a copy of a DMV Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California (SR 1) form, submit a completed Financial Responsibility Information Request (SR 19C) and $20.

Mail to:
Financial Responsibility Unit, MS J237
PO Box 942884
Sacramento, CA 94284-0884

Accident and insurance information is only released to individuals or an attorney for an individual involved in an accident.

Information about a car dealer, salesperson, dismantler, driving school, registration service, traffic violator school, traffic violator school list, or vehicle verifier is available online through DMV’s Occupational Licensing Status Information System.

Information includes license status, ownership information, and history of disciplinary actions taken by DMV against the licensee (if applicable).

To request a current OL printout not available on the Occupational Licensing Status Information System, you must submit a completed Request for Occupational Licensing Information (OL 100) to:

Occupational Licensing Unit, MS L224
PO Box 932342
Sacramento, CA 94232-3420

Enclose a $5 fee.

To request a copy of an OL record (applications, bond documents, etc.), submit a Public Records Act request.

To request documents pursuant to the PRA, write a description of the kind of records you need so that DMV personnel can properly identify them. If you are involved in a lawsuit, you or your attorney may serve the Legal Affairs Division with a subpoena to get a copy of the documents.

Online: PRA Request


Mail to:
Legal Affairs Division, MS C128
2415 1st Avenue
PO Box 932382
Sacramento, CA 94232-3820

Phone: (916) 657-6469
Fax: (916) 657-6243

Fees are determined by the number of copies and availability of the documents requested. DMV will tell you the final cost. You must pay the fees before DMV can release the records.

For Employers:
You can get state-reported information to the NDR regarding a prospective employee by submitting a Request for National Driver Register (NDR) File Check on Current or Prospective Employee (INF 1301A) along with a $5 fee.

Employers mail requests to:
Public Operations, MS G199
PO Box 944247
Sacramento, CA 94244-2470

For Individuals:
You can get a copy of your own NDR records by sending a notarized letter directly to the Department of Transportation. You do not need a form.

Your notarized letter must include your:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Eye color
  • Driver’s license number
  • Issuing state

Individuals mail requests to:
Department of Transportation NDR
Rm. W55-201
1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
Washington, DC 20590

Additional information is available at:

To request a Form 700 for a DMV official, designated employee, or consultant, contact the DMV Human Resources branch.

Human Resources Branch, MS A208
Attn: COI Coordinator
2415 1st Avenue
PO Box 932315
Sacramento, CA 94232-3150

Phone: (916) 657-7541
Fax: (916) 657-6733

The fee for a copy of Form 700 is $.10 per page.

If the Form 700 is more than five years old, an additional $5 will be charged.

For IPA requests,California Civil Code §1798 please contact the Privacy Protection Office:

IPA Record Inquiry
Attn: DMV Chief Privacy Officer
2415 1st Ave., MS F127
Sacramento, CA 95818
Phone: (916) 657-6340

Learn more about IPA requests.