Termination of Action for Out-of-State Residents

SUV Side

If you have received a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction in California but reside in another state, you may be eligible to reinstate your driving privilege without completing the California DUI reinstatement requirements.

California Vehicle Code (VC) §13353.5 authorizes the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to terminate a DUI suspension or revocation for a person who is a resident of another state at the end of the suspension or revocation period.  This will allow the person to apply for a license in their state of residence.

The linked documents below are in Portable Document Format (PDF). Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print these documents.

Eligibility Information

You are eligible for termination of action under VC §13353.5 if all of the following applies to you:

  • Any suspensions or revocations imposed against your driving privilege are no longer in effect.
  • Any Administrative Per Se restrictions are no longer in effect.
  • Any court-ordered restrictions or DMV ignition interlock device (IID) restrictions are no longer in effect.
  • All applicable Administrative Service fees have been paid.

To obtain information regarding your driver record, you may call the Mandatory Actions Unit at (916) 657-6525, or you may request a copy of your driver record online ($2 fee), or by mail by completing a Request For Your Own Driver License Identification Card or Vehicle/Vessel Registration Information Record (INF 1125) form, available online ($5 fee).

Application Requirements

If you have met all of the eligibility requirements above, submit an Application for Termination of Action (DL 4006) to DMV.  You must provide at least one acceptable out-of-state residency document with your application (see below).  You may also be required to pay fees or provide proof of financial responsibility, which must be submitted with your application, if required.

Application for Termination of Action

Application for Termination of Action (DL 4006)

Mail the original application to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Mandatory Actions Unit M/S J233
PO Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290-0001

Proof Filing Information

You may be required to submit proof of financial responsibility in addition to your application. If required, you may provide a California Insurance Proof Certificate (SR 22) from an insurance company authorized to do business in California.

For a non-California insurance document to be acceptable, you must complete and return a Declaration Regarding Certificate of Insurance for Non-Resident Driver, located on the California Proof Requirements for Non-Residents (DL 300) form.

California Proof Requirements for Non-Residents (DL 300)

Acceptable Out-of-State Residency Documents

You must include at least one acceptable out-of-state residency document with the DL 4006.  The out-of-state residency document must include your first and last name, and the residence address must match the residence address listed on the DL 4006:

  • Receipts for payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education or school records.
  • Home utility bill including cellular phone bill.
  • Documents issued by a licensing authority indicating a current application for a driver license in the state of residence.
  • Official voter registration documents.
  • Official document issued by a governmental agency that can be used by the department to prove residency.
  • Rental or lease agreement with the signature of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident.
  • Deed or title to residential real property.
  • Mortgage bill.
  • Filing of homeowner’s property tax exemption or homestead exemption certificate.
  • Medical document.
  • Employment document.
  • Insurance document, including medical, dental, vision, life, home, rental, and vehicle.
  • Change of Address Confirmation by the United States Postal Service.
  • Property tax bill or statement.
  • Faith based document that includes the name and address of the issuing organization.
  • Tax return documents.
  • Record of financial institution.
  • Court documents that list the applicant as a resident outside of California.