How To: Register a Junk Vehicle

You will need:

You may also need a:

Revived Junk Vehicle

A revived junk vehicle is a vehicle previously reported to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) as dismantled by an individual or dismantler and restored to operational condition. For information on revived salvage vehicles, see the How To: Reregister a Salvage (Total Loss) Vehicle (HTVR 13) brochure.

Most forms/brochures listed in this brochure are available at

Requirements for Reregistering a Junk Vehicle

The requirements are:

  • An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) signed by all current owners.
    • The vehicle cost must include the cost of labor, even if the labor was done by you.
  • Proof of ownership, which is one of the following:
    • A junk receipt issued by DMV.
    • Bill of Sale (REG 135) or Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) from a licensed dismantler, including the dismantler’s vehicle acquisition number.

If the junk receipt is missing, the person to whom DMV issued the junk receipt must complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form that describes the vehicle and states what happened to the original junk receipt.

  • A REG 262 (combined bill of sale/odometer disclosure/power of attorney) as needed to establish the chain of ownership to you. If you do not need to disclose the odometer reading, you may use a:
  • Bills of sale for all parts used in the vehicle reconstruction which list:
    • The part(s) purchased.
    • The year, make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle from which the parts were removed.
    • The name, address, telephone number, signature, and driver license, identification (ID card), or federal employer ID number of the person or business from whom you acquired the part(s).
  • Vehicle Inspection by DMV or, if required, by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). For vehicles that require a CHP inspection:
    • Contact CHP for an appointment at one of the telephone numbers listed at the end of this brochure.
    • Bring proof of ownership, bills of sale for parts, and repair receipts to the inspection appointment.
    • CHP issues a Certificate of Inspection (CHP 97C) form that must be submitted with other requirements to DMV to complete the application.
    • A nonrefundable inspection fee is collected by DMV at the time the registration application is presented.

Vehicles manufactured with a supplemental restraint system (air bags) must be equipped with working air bags that meet federal motor vehicle safety standards and conform to the manufacturer’s specifications.

  • Brake/Light Inspection Certificates for most vehicles, except trailers weighing 3,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight. To locate California state-licensed brake/light inspection stations, check your local telephone directory.
    exception: When an official California brake/light inspection station that inspects specific vehicles, such as motorcycles or large commercial vehicles, is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a REG 256 from a California state-licensed repair shop certifying that the brakes/lights are in proper working order.
  • A weight certificate from a California public weighmaster with the unladen or empty weight is required for trucks and pickups. This certificate may be obtained for a nominal fee. For a list of public scales check your local telephone directory or the California Department of Food and Agriculture website at
    A weight certificate is not required for:
    • Trucks or pickups previously registered in California when the prior California Certificate of Title or registration shows the unladen weight and number of axles, if the vehicle has not been modified to change the weight. .
    • Trucks or pickups with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less when the empty, unladen, scale, shipping, or tare weight is indicated on an out-of-state title or registration, if the vehicle has not been modified to change the weight.
    • Two or three-axle trucks weighing 10,001 pounds or more. The estimated unladen weight is required.
    • Autos (unless registered as commercial), trailers, and motorcycles.
  • Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form for commercial vehicles weighing 6,001 pounds or more, except pickups.
  • A smog certification from a California state-licensed smog inspection station, unless your vehicle is:
    • A 1975 or older year model and gas-powered.
    • A 1997 or older year model and diesel-powered.
    • Diesel-powered with a GVW rating (GVWR) of 14,001 pounds or more.
    • Electric.
    • Natural gas or propane-powered with a GVWR of 14,001 pounds or more.
    • Hydrogen fuel cell-powered.
    • A motorcycle.
    • A trailer.
    • Special equipment.
    • An off-highway vehicle.
    • Assigned Historical Vehicle License Plates (manufactured prior to 1976 year model).
    • A crane, cement mixer, forklift, golf cart, or street sweeper.
    • Already titled in your name and does not require smog certification for registration renewal.

A California Certificate of Title will not be issued if you do not obtain the required certifications and reregister your vehicle before moving it out of California. California does not recognize out-of-state junk vehicle inspection certifications.

  • Fees, such as:
    • Registration
    • CHP
    • Vehicle license (VLF)
    • Weight
    • Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA)
    • County
    • Cargo theft interdiction program (CTIP)
    • Permanent trailer identification (PTI) service (most trailers)
    • Salvage and dismantled vehicle inspection
    • Prior history
    • Use tax (not due if purchased from a licensed dismantler)
    • Nonresident (if last registered out of state)

For registration fees, see the Registration Related Fees (FFVR 34) Fast Facts brochure.

CHP Inspection Appointments

Inspections will not be conducted without an appointment. The addresses are for appointment scheduling only and may not be the actual inspection site. Contact one of the offices listed in the following section to make an appointment.

For an Appointment Contact:

Northern Division
2485 Sonoma Street
Redding, CA 96001-3026
Phone: (530) 242-4360

Valley Division
2555 First Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95818-2608
Phone: (916) 464-1480

Golden GateDivision
1551 Benicia Road
Vallejo, CA 94591-7568
Phone: (510) 622-4611

Central Division
5179 North Gates Avenue
Fresno, CA 93722-6414
Phone: (559) 488-4053

Coastal Division
4115 Broad Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401-7963
Phone: (805) 549-3006

Inland Division
847 E. Brier Drive
San Bernardino, CA 92408-2820
Phone: (909) 806-2437

Border Division
9330 Farnham Street
San Diego, CA 92123-1216
Phone: (858)-492-1745

Otay Masa Inspection Facility
2335 Enrico Fermi Drive
San Diego, CA 92154-7203
Phone: (858)-492-1745

Westminster Area
13200 Golden West Street
Westminster, CA 92683-2299
Phone: (714) 892-4426

Southern Division
411 N. Central Avenue, Ste. 410
Glendale, CA 91203-2092
Phone: (323) 644-9593