Contact: Office of Public Affairs
2415 First Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 657–6437 | firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 3, 2019
Los Angeles – The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) teams up with NBC4 LA and Telemundo52 on December 4 to answer viewer questions about REAL ID driver licenses and identification cards. DMV representatives will discuss the REAL ID program and answer viewer phone calls during the 4, 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts on NBC4 and 5, 5:30 and 6 p.m. newscast on Telemundo52.
The DMV, NBC4 LA and Telemundo52 want to help Southern California residents prepare for new federal identification requirements to board flights within the United States and access secure federal facilities and military bases. When the October 1, 2020 enforcement date takes effect, Californians will be required to show one of the following documents at airport security checkpoints and specific federal screening locations:
- REAL ID driver license or identification card
- Passport or Passport Card
- Global Entry Card
- Other federally approved documents
For Californians who want to continue to use their driver license or identification card to fly within the United States or enter secure federal facilities, the DMV offers residents a REAL ID card, which is identified with a bear and star.
To apply, individuals must visit a DMV office and bring the following documents:
- One proof of Identity – original or certified
- (Ex: valid passport, birth certificate, etc.)
- A name change document(s) is required if the name on your identity document is different than your current legal name.
- One proof of Social Security Number
- Two proofs of California residency – paper copies
- (Ex: utility bill, cell phone bill, bank statement, vehicle registration card)
For a complete list of acceptable documents, visit REALID.dmv.ca.gov.
Timesaving Tip: Customers are encouraged to fill out the online driver license application before their office visit: eDLapp.dmv.ca.gov
View and embed the REAL ID Application Guide video: https://youtu.be/eIMqo2hghSE
Extended Morning Hours: The DMV opens more than 60 of its field offices at 7 a.m. every weekday except Wednesday. Find the nearest office offering extended hours.
Saturday Service: The DMV offers Californians convenient Saturday service at more than 60 of its field offices throughout the state. Find the nearest office offering Saturday hours here.
Never miss the latest news from the California DMV. Sign up now to receive customized information on DMV related topics. To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit DMV News Alerts: https://www.emailalert.dmv.ca.gov/DMVEmail_Alert/