The DMV is pleased to announce the approval of the Notice of Proposed Regulations for the Interstate Carrier Program (ICP) which was previously known as the Bonded Web User (BWU) Program. The ICP allows DMV to partner with private businesses to remotely process International Registration Plan (IRP) registration transactions for apportioned vehicles. Please review the ICP Regulations if you are interested in applying.
You can apply for ICP if you operate:
- A registration service as defined in California Vehicle Code (CVC) §505.2 that holds a valid registration service license issued by DMV.
- A vehicle leasing or rental company that processes IRP vehicle registrations for their own purposes.
- A Motor Carrier Association as defined in CVC §1685.1.
To apply for ICP, you will need:
- Applicable fees (see below).
- A copy of your registration service license, if applicable.
- A color copy of each owner/employee’s valid California driver license (DL) or identification (ID) card.
- A completed Interstate Carrier Program Application form (REG 202 I) form.
- A completed Interstate Carrier Program Security Agreement (REG 216 I) form
- A completed Statement of Personal History – Owner Interstate Carrier Program (REG 2060 I) form (for each owner).
- A completed Statement of Personal History – Employee Interstate Carrier Program (REG 206 I) form (for each employee).
- A current Request for Live Scan (DMV 8016) form for each owner and employee.
- A completed Information Security and Disclosure Statement Public/Private Partnerships Employee (EXEC 200X) form for each owner and employee.
- An Information Security and Disclosure Statement Firm (EXEC 201X) form.
- Commercial Requester Account Approval Letter.
- An Electronic Fund Transfer Authorization Form California Department of Motor Vehicles (CADMV) and Interstate Carrier Program (ICP) (REG 214 I) form.
- An Interstate Carrier Program (ICP) Surety Bond (REG 208 I) form.
Submit these forms with payment to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
INTERSTATE CARRIER PROGRAM
2415 First Avenue, MS C383
Sacramento, CA 95818
For questions please contact the ICP Administrator at RODICPADMINS@dmv.ca.gov
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you participate in the ICP, you can:
- Receive same-day service for your plates, cab cards, and stickers.
- Have full control over the transaction process from initiation to completion at your approved location.
- Submit exact fees calculated by DMV.
DMV requires a mandatory two-day training on the IRP system for approved applicants.
The following fees are associated with ICP (some fees may vary):
- $349 for original application (nonrefundable).
- $269 for renewal application (nonrefundable).
- Commercial Requester Account Code Application fee.
- Live Scan fees (varied based on the organization providing service). Please visit the State of California Department of Justice website to access a list of live scan processing facilities in your county.
- Surety bond in the amount of $50,000 issued by a California Admitted Surety Insurer (Bonded Company).
- Fees associated with the annual compliance audit performed by a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
IRP is a federally sanctioned program that helps process commercial vehicle registration and operation in 48 states and 11 Canadian provinces.
IRP member jurisdictions collect registration fees from their ‘home-based’ interstate trucking companies on behalf of each member jurisdiction where the companies operate and must register.
Within the IRP system, you can process the following transactions:
- IRP New Carrier
- IRP New Fleet
- IRP Fleet Renewal
- IRP Add Vehicle
- IRP Add Vehicle with Replacement Credit
- IRP Weight Group Change
- IRP Amend Vehicle
- IRP Cab Card Correction
- IRP Fleet to Fleet Transfer
- IRP Replacement Cab Card
- IRP Name Change
- IRP Delete Vehicle
- IRP Replacement Sticker
- IRP Replacement Weight Decal
- IRP Change Carrier Type/Commodity Class
ICP participants can issue the following inventory:
- Apportioned vehicle license plates
- Year stickers
- Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA) weight decals
- CVRA year stickers
Need something else?
Motor Carrier Services
Obtain a motor carrier permit, register commercial vehicles, and learn more about the motor carrier services.
Private Carrier of Passengers (PCP) Program
If you are a private carrier transporting passengers in California, you might be eligible for the PCP.
Resources & Links
View real-time traffic cams and maps, find contact information for other state agencies, review requirements for motor carrier permits and more.