Commercial to Standard License Plates

Learn how to exchange your vehicle’s commercial license plates for auto license plates. 

If you have a vehicle with commercial license plates, you may be able to exchange those plates for standard auto license plates.

The following types of vehicles are eligible for auto plates:

  • Passenger vehicles that don’t transport people “for hire”.
  • Station wagons.
  • Pickup trucks with a permanently attached camper or camper shell. The camper (or camper shell) must meet the definitions for human habitation or camping purposes, otherwise the vehicle owner may be ticketed by law enforcement for not meeting the definition of an auto.
  • Vans modified for human habitation.
  • Multi-purpose vehicles.
  • Hearses.

Checklist for Converting From Commercial to Auto Plates

To convert from commercial to auto license plates, you will need:

  • The California Certificate of Title (pink slip).
  • For pickups with a camper attached, or vans modified for human habitation, a Miscellaneous Certifications (REG 256A) with the Certification of Vehicle for Human Habitation section completed.
  • For vehicles that have been changed or altered to meet the definition of a station wagon, a Statement of Facts (REG 256).
  • The commercial license plates on the vehicle.

Visit a DMV office to submit your paperwork and surrender your commercial plates.

Need something else?