Vehicles No Longer in DMV Records

Search Task

If your vehicle is titled in California, but it has not been registered for four years or more, DMV may no longer have a digital record of your vehicle. Even if you still have DMV-issued paper documentation for your vehicle, you must re-establish a digital record of your vehicle.

If you have the title:

If you do have the California Certificate of Title or the original expired California registration card (not a photocopy), you can submit a new registration application.

You will need:

  • A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
  • A completed Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form. This form must be completed by an authorized DMV employee or peace officer.
  • The California Certificate of Title or registration card for your vehicle.
  • A Certificate of Non-Operation/Planned Non-Operation Certification (REG 102) form or Statement of Facts (REG 256) certifying to the non-operation of the vehicle.
  • The odometer disclosure statement completed on a Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262). This form is not available online because it is printed on security paper; call DMV at 1-800-777-0133 to request one be mailed to you. for motor vehicles less than 10 model years old.
  • A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing less than 10,001 pounds unladen or a REG 256 form from the owner certifying the weight has not changed.
    • If the vehicle weighs 10,001 pounds or more, or is a Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) trailer, a REG 256 certifying the estimated weight is required.

If you do not have the title:

If you do not have a California Certificate of Title or expired registration card, or you only have a photocopy of the registration card, the following items are required to register your vehicle:

In some cases, you may also need to submit the following:

If you do not plan to operate the vehicle, but wish to obtain a Certificate of Title issued in your name, you may apply for a “Title Only” by completing a REG 256 form and a REG 102 form.

Do I need to pay any fees?

Fees are due from the first time you drive your vehicle. 

Make sure you pay your fees before operating the vehicle.

The amount of fees due (except for trailers in the PTI program) will depend on the cost of the vehicle, the county of residence, and the type of vehicle.

A fee estimate can be determined at the time of your registration application. You can also use the online vehicle registration fee (VLF) calculator to calculate an estimate.

Need something else?