In a hurry to process your title? We offer rush title processing for an additional fee. You can request rush title processing for initial vehicle registration, transfer of ownership, or to obtain a duplicate California Certificate of Title.
Rush title processing is not available for vessels.
How to Request Rush Title Processing
To request rush title processing, submit:
- A California Certificate of Title or a completed Application for Duplicate or Transfer of Title (REG 227).
- For PTI trailers, submit a completed Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Application and Certification (REG 4017).
- Rush title processing fee (depending on the type of application, you may need to pay transfer, duplicate title, use tax, and registration fees).
- We accept check, money order, or cashier’s check (no cash).
Depending on the type of application, you may also need to submit:
- A Statement of Facts (REG 256).
- A prepaid express mail return envelope.
- A Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment (REG 262) form (not available online; call our automated voice system at 1-800-777-0133 to have a form mailed to you).
- An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
- Additional documentation.
- A smog certification.
- Additional fees.
Mail all applicable forms, documents, fees, and a note at the top of your application indicating “Rush Title Processing” to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Rush Title Processing – MS D825
2415 1st Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95818
Frequently Asked Questions
The rush title processing time starts when we receive the application at DMV headquarters. The application must include all completed documents and appropriate fees, and be without conditions that prevent title issuance. Normal processing time for applications sent to DMV is from 8-10 business days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays), depending upon the type of application.
Yes. You can send your application by express mail delivery to expedite your request. If you want the application returned by express mail delivery, you must include a prepaid express mail return envelope.
No. DMV offices can’t accept or process rush title requests. Mail your request to the address above.
Need something else?
Everything you need to know about California Certificates of Title, title transfers, and title changes.
Need a smog certification to apply for a title or renew your registration?
Register Your Vehicle
New vehicles need to be registered and you need to renew your registration every year. Make sure your registration is up-to-date.