*For replacement of standard license plates or non-personalized special plates.
Please allow up to 48 business hours for a response to your request.
Your request will be processed Monday-Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. excluding state holidays.
Replacement License Plates Form
Before you begin:
You will need the vehicle’s license plate number, the last 3 digits of the vehicle identification number (VIN), and you must be the registered owner on record.
Check whether your vehicle is eligible for online replacements.
Be prepared to pay the replacement fee. (Fee is subject to change annually; check registration fee information for the current figure.)
Currently this application only accepts payment via e-check.
The Internet Explorer web browser is not currently supported for an online Replacement License Plates application. To avoid submission errors, please submit your online request using another browser (i.e. Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari).
Change of Address is not allowed on this application.
To enter DMV Virtual Office, click the “Start” button above. To learn more about how your information is shared, visit How Information is Protected or Disclosed.
|Replacement Fee for Regular License Plates and Sequential Special Interest License Plates||Replacement Fees|
|Regular Series Replacement|
|Sequential Special Interest License Plates Replacement Auto, Commercial, or Motorcycle|
|Breast Cancer Awareness (BCA)||$35|
|CA 1960s Legacy||$35|
|CA Arts Council||$22|
|CA Coastal Commission (CCC)||$35|
|Lake Tahoe Concervancy||$35|
The following vehicles are NOT eligible for online replacement requests:
- All personalized license plates
- Disabled Person Plates
- Motorcycles with sequential special plates (Only “Legacy” motorcycle plates are eligible)
- Sequential Collegiate Plates
- Sequential Veteran’s Plates
- Vehicles with 2 stolen plates or Motorcycle with stolen plate are not able to use this process
- Off-highway vehicles
- Special equipment plated vehicles
- Farm equipment
- Vehicles with registration due within the next 30 calendar days
- Vehicles with an expired or suspended registration
- Vehicles on Planned Non-Operation
- Junked, vehicles with salvage certificate-issued, and non-repairable vehicles
- Vehicles with titles surrendered to another state
- Vehicles with an open collections action with the Department
- Vehicles with an active Notice of Release of Liability on record
- Vehicles with a hold due to transaction processing, titling, outstanding citations, or vehicle theft issues
- Vehicles registered under the Permanent Fleet Registration program
- Commercial vehicles registered under the International Registration Plan program or Partial Year Registration program
- All trailers including trailers registered under the Permanent Trailer Identification program
If your vehicle is one of the above, you will need to complete an Application for Replacement Plates / Stickers / Documents (REG 156) form or a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) and mail it to the address shown on the form, or take it into a DMV office.