Web Content Viewer


Driver Licenses For Individuals With Legal Presence


Driver Licenses For Individuals With Legal Presence

En español

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) have been authorized to apply for a driver license or ID card since June 15, 2012, upon presentation of documents issued by the Department of Homeland Security.     

DACA approvals by the Department of Homeland Security are good for two (2) years, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) driver license or ID card issued is aligned with the term of the legal presence document. An acceptable list of legal presence documents can be found under the Birth date verification and legal presence requirements section on the DMV website.

There are many other ways to provide proof that an applicant is legally present in the United States (U.S.). If the applicant was born in the U.S., they may provide a U.S. birth certificate or passport. An applicant who is an immigrant to the U.S. may provide a U.S. citizen naturalization or citizenship document, or a Permanent Resident Card. Applicants who are non-immigrants, but are authorized to be in the U.S. may present a Temporary Resident Identification card or other temporary resident documentation.  

At the point of renewal of a limited term driver license or ID card, DMV sends a renewal notice to the applicant’s address on file requesting an updated Department of Homeland Security extension information/document. The applicant should send their renewal notice to DMV Headquarters for processing at:

Department of Motor Vehicles,
PO BOX 942890, MS G204
Sacramento, CA  94290-0001

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if my DACA status is rescinded? Is my driver license still valid?

  • Driver licenses will remain valid until the date of expiration printed on the card.
  • If a DACA recipient no longer maintains DACA status or other form of legal presence and wishes to convert their driver license to an AB 60 driver license, the applicant:
    • Will need to visit a local DMV field office.
    • Is urged to make an appointment by calling DMV at 1-800-777-0133 or online at
    • Must cancel any existing ID card by completing the Request for Cancellation or Surrender of Driver License or Identification Card (DL 142).
    • If applicable, pay an application fee.  
    • Does not need to complete a knowledge or vision test unless indicated on the Driver License record.
    • Does not need to complete a drive test unless indicated on the Driver License record.


Complementary Content