California Driver’s Handbook

Driver Education illustration

Additional Formats

  • Open selection options
    Download PDF
  • American Sign Language Video Play Video on YouTube

Section 7 of 22

Section 4: Changing, Replacing, and Renewing Your Driver’s License

Changes to Your License

If you legally change your name or need an update to your driver’s license, such as your physical description or gender identity, visit

Change Your Address

If you move, you must notify DMV of your new address within ten days. Submit a change of address online at or by mail. It is your responsibility to ensure DMV has your correct mailing address on record.

You do not automatically get a new driver’s license when you change your address. You may request a replacement for a fee.

Replace or Renew Your Driver’s License

It is against the law to drive with an expired driver’s license. To renew or replace a lost, stolen, or damaged driver’s license, visit, or DMV office.

Before DMV can issue you a driver’s license, you may need to provide additional proof of your identity. Your driver’s license and identity document may expire on the same date. If so, you will be required to provide a valid identity document. If you are a minor, your parent or guardian must sign the application. Once you receive your replacement card, your old card is no longer valid. If you find the old card, destroy it.

Extend Your Driver’s License

If you are out-of-state and cannot renew, you may request a one year extension of your driver’s license. Before your driver’s license expires, submit a request with your name, driver’s license number, birth date, California residence address, and out-of-state address to

Limited-term driver’s licenses are not eligible for this extension.