Employer Pull Notice Program FAQs

Search Task

Apply for an EPN requester account or access your current requester account.

Find answers to questions about Employer Pull Notice (EPN) program requirements, driver enrollment, driver’s records, and more.

Requester codes assigned to an employer will appear on the EPN Account Approval Letter (INF 1304), which we will mail to the employer once the contract is approved. You must include this number on all future enrollment or deletion requests and correspondence submitted to DMV to avoid processing delays.

The requester code is a confidential number. We will not fax it or release it over the telephone. Do not provide or disclose it to unauthorized persons.

The following guidelines will help EPN account holders comply with security requirements for DMV record information:

  • DMV information may only be used for the purpose for which it was approved. It may not be combined with any other information.
  • DMV information must be destroyed when it is no longer needed for the reason for which it was originally requested. The information must be destroyed in a way that prevents it from being reproduced or identified in any physical or electronic form.
  • Security measures must be in place to prevent unauthorized access to any DMV data.
  • Requester codes are confidential and must be protected from unauthorized use or disclosure.
  • An EPN contact person should be appointed and placed in charge of maintaining the security of DMV record information.

Any changes to information to your Employer Pull Notice Program Enrollment Application can be done through the easy-to-use online hub.

The employer of a prospective driver is required to obtain a copy of the driver’s record showing the driver’s current public record. If you hire the driver, you must review, sign, and date the driver’s record and maintain the record at your place of business until you enroll the driver in the EPN program.

A “casual driver” is employed less than 30 days in the preceding six months. Employers are not required to enroll a “casual driver,” however, you must obtain a copy of the driver’s record showing the driver’s current public record, sign the record, date it, and maintain the record on file at your place of business for a period of six months.

In the interest of highway safety, DMV permits employers to enroll drivers not identified in California Vehicle Code (CVC) §1808.1 if the following conditions are met:

  • The driver consents to being enrolled in EPN (complete an Authorization for Release of Driver Record Information (INF 1101) and maintain the form at your principal place of business).
  • The driver is an employee of the EPN account holder. If the driver is not an employee (for example, volunteer), you can still enroll them if they operate a vehicle on behalf of your business.
  • DMV information may not be shared and must be for the exclusive business use of the employer.
  • Upon termination of employment, the driver must be immediately deleted from the EPN account.

A driver licensed in another state who does not have a prior California record will be assigned an index number (“X” number) for tracking purposes. If another state reports an action or activity to California on out–of–state licensed drivers or California licensed drivers, that information will be stored on the driver’s record and reported to employers.

A driver’s record, also referred to as driver’s license (DL) printout (DL 414), contains information obtained from an individual’s DL application, abstracts of convictions, and accidents. This information is open to public inspection (per CVC §1808).

A driver’s record is automatically generated and sent to the employer for newly enrolled drivers, upon an applicable action or activity, or annually for currently enrolled drivers. An employer may also request a copy of a driver’s record for a prospective hire or casual driver.

You are not required to enroll in the EPN program if your operation does not have any terminals located within California. However, if you regularly garage, maintain, operate, or dispatch from a dispatch office, cross-dock facility, maintenance shop, business, store, or private residence located within California, you are required to enroll in the Motor Carrier Permit (MCP) and EPN programs.

Yes. If the motor carrier is a corporation, partnership, or LLC and vehicles in the motor carrier fleet require commercially licensed drivers, you must enroll in the EPN program. The EPN requester code number must be provided on the application for an MCP.

Per California Vehicle Code (CVC) §1812 , there is no charge to government EPN account holders (including law enforcement).

When commercial employers enroll in the EPN program, DMV provides an ABIS account number for automated billing (this number is different from your EPN requester code).

  • Employers with 10 or fewer drivers enrolled will pay each time they receive a pull notice and will receive invoices in their online account. Employers with more than 10 drivers will receive invoices in the online account and in the mail on the following schedule:
    • If less than $5 in charges on your account, DMV will send quarterly invoices.
    • If $5 or more in charges on your account, DMV will send monthly invoices.
    • If there is a minus (−) behind the dollar amount on your invoice, this is a credit and no payment is due.

Payment is due upon receipt of invoice. To avoid processing delays, detach the remittance slip from the invoice statement and submit original remittance with check or money order to the DMV address shown on the invoice. If we do not receive payment within 30 days from the date of the invoice, we will send a delinquent notice to the account holder (employer). If payment is not received within 30 days from delinquent notice, we may close the account.

Once an account is closed for nonpayment, it cannot be restored and you must establish a new account. You must submit full payment of the outstanding balance and a $5 fee for each re-enrolled driver to reapply for the EPN program. We will not accept a new EPN application until the delinquent amount has been paid.

Please allow 30 days for ABIS to process your payment.

Mail payments to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
ABIS Account Support – MS H186
PO Box 944231
Sacramento, California 94244-2310

Need something else?