You need a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID) manufacturer certification if you produce ignition interlock devices for use in vehicles in California.
How to Apply for a BAIID Manufacturer Certification
To apply for your certification, submit the following:
- Application for Certification of Ignition Interlock Device (DL 9).
- Laboratory Report (DL 28).
- Random Retest Compliance Self Certification (OL 624).
- Fee Schedule Acknowledgement (OL 160).
- A detailed description of the device including a photograph, drawing, or other graphic depiction of the device.
- Complete technical specifications describing the device’s accuracy, reliability, security, data collection and recording, tamper detection, and environmental features.
- Independent Laboratory Report for the BAIID must be ISO/IEC 17025 accredited and demonstrating the device meets or exceeds the minimum federal standards pursuant to VC 13386 (d).
- List of authorized installers that includes:
- Installer’s name
- Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) or Bureau of Household Goods and Services (BHGS) license number
- Contact person
- Facility location(s)
- Telephone number
- Hours of operation
- Type of facility (single, satellite, mobile, base)
- A copy of Service center manual given to be given to the installers.
- A copy of Participants written instructions to be supplied to the participants.
- A copy of the liability insurance policy (minimum of $1,000,000.00). This certificate should hold product liability insurance and name the Department an additional insured.
- A signed statement that the manufacturer shall indemnify and hold the State of California harmless relating to the installation / servicing of a BAIID.
- A copy of the fee schedules.
- Imprint of the official stamp of the manufacturer on a separate sheet of paper.
- A copy of the toll-free number through which participants may be referred to the authorized installer.
- A copy of Quality Assurance Plan (QAP).
- $100 non-refundable application fee (each device needs a separate application and fee)
Mail your application and fees to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Occupational Licensing (OL) Section
ATTN: Barbara Gray-Pressley
8243 Demetre Ave
Sacramento, CA 95818
Minimum Federal Specifications of BAIIDs
The minimum federal requirements are listed in the Federal Register Vol 78, No. 89 published on May 8, 2013.
View the BAIID List to find devices that meet or exceed the minimum federal specifications.
Manufacturer Certification Authority
California Vehicle Code (CVC) §13386 Ignition Interlock Device Certification List. The CVC is available for purchase from the DMV.
California Code of Regulations Title 13, Article 2.55, California Ignition Interlock Device Program.
Federal Register | Model Specifications for Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Devices (BAIIDs).
Need something else?
Contact us if you have any questions about applying for occupational licenses. We’re here to help!
Ignition Interlock Device Program Handbook
The Ignition Interlock Device Program Handbook contains helpful information about ignition interlock devices, program requirements, and more.
Fast Facts About BAIIDs
See our fast facts to learn more about BAIIDs.