Several types of businesses with a physical location need to submit photographs of their location as part of their occupational license application. Learn more about the photography requirements.
Here are the photography requirements for your occupation license application:
- Photographs must be clear enough to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Each photograph must be dated and signed.
- Photographs must be attached to a sheet of paper, labeled, and numbered according to the directions below.
|License Type||Photograph Requirements|
|Wholesale Only Dealer||Office and Location|
|New Vehicle Dealer||Office, Sign, and Display Area|
|Non Retail – Auto Broker||Office, Sign, and Location|
|Used Vehicle Dealer||Office, Sign, and Display Area|
|Dismantler||Office, Sign, and Location|
|Driving School||Office, Sign, and Location|
|Traffic Violator School||Office, Sign, and Location|
|Driving/Traffic Violator School Classroom||Location|
|Registration Service||Office, Sign, and Location|
The department will perform on-site inspections to validate the contents of photographs as it sees fit. Submission of fraudulent application form(s) and/or photography is grounds to refuse to issue a license now or in the future.
Photographs must clearly show an established place of business set up to perform the duties required by the license type. This includes adequate, secure storage for accountable materials and customer records (paper or electronic).
- A full photograph from the entrance to the back wall that includes both side walls.
- A full photograph from the back wall to the entrance that includes both side walls.
- Business involving vehicles (or their component parts) must be conducted separate from other types of business. Provide photographs that clearly show the physical division between business involving vehicles or their component parts. California Vehicle Code (CVC) §1670
- Photograph of the office entrance which includes the office address from the outside of the building (see directions under “Sign photograph requirements” for further directions if the address is not affixed near the office entrance or to the exterior of the building).
- If the office entrance is not directly accessible from the exterior of the building, a photograph from the corridor showing the direct entrance to the office or residential office.
Books and records
- Photograph(s) of where the books and records that are pertinent to the business are kept (including records obtained or retained electronically). California Vehicle Code (CVC) §320
- Photograph the sign with the name of the business as it appears in the application.
- Photograph(s) must clearly show a sign permanently affixed to the exterior of the building, visible from 50 ft. If the address is not visible on the exterior of the building, then it must appear on the sign.
- If the sign isn’t visible from 50 ft, take a photograph of the sign from the nearest public entrance to the property.
- If sign cannot be posted on the exterior of the building, the following photographs are required:
- A photograph of the lobby directory or other posted sign to direct customers to an office within the building.
- A photograph of the sign posted on or near the office entrance door.
- Photograph(s) must clearly show an area large enough for the type of vehicle(s) for sale and must be for the exclusive use of the licensee.
- Photograph(s) that shows the proximity of the display area(s) to the office. If the display area is not in the immediate adjacent vicinity of the office, another permanently installed sign is required to identify the business name and office address.
- Photograph(s) that includes display area sign(s). If utilizing designated parking spaces, a sign must be permanently installed designating the spaces for the exclusive use of the licensee (business name). The signs must be visible when vehicles are parked in the parking spaces to be acceptable. A copy of a contract or lease agreement for the spaces must be included with the application.
- Photograph(s) must clearly show an area large enough for the purpose of dismantling, must have a separate distinguishable area for vehicles on hold, and must clearly indicate the property is exclusively used by the applicant.
- Photograph(s) must show the complete dismantling area, and proximity of the dismantling area(s) to the office. If the dismantling area is not in the immediate vicinity of the office, another permanently installed sign is required to identify the business name and office address.
- Photograph of holding area (10 day Notice of Acquisition vehicles must be held in an area away from dismantling area).
- Applicant(s) must submit a photograph that clearly shows the place of business (exterior of building and/or property).
- Area designated for the licensed activity.
- Sign (see “Sign photograph requirements” for details).
Need something else?
Contact us if you have any questions about applying for occupational licenses. We are here to help!
Learn more about occupational licensing and find helpful resources.
Vehicle Industry Services
Learn more about vehicle industry services provided by DMV, including motor carrier services, autonomous vehicle regulations and testing, and the Business Partner Automation Program.