Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual
Chapter 11 Transfers
11.070 Exempt Vehicles (CVC §5600)
To transfer an exempt agency vehicle, the following must be submitted:
- The Certificate of Title properly endorsed for transfer.
- A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form, if the number of axles does not show on the title of a commercial vehicle.
- A weight certificate, if the weight code is missing on the title of a commercial vehicle.
- A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form stating the motive power, if the title does not show the motive power .
- An Exempt License Plate Request (REG 5050) form if the vehicle is being transferred to another exempt agency.
- A permit to transfer issued by the Department of General Services, the Department of Transportation, or the California State University and Colleges, as appropriate for state-owned vehicles.
Note: Accept the release by Department of Transportation for vehicles registered to the Department of Public Works, Division of Highways or Equipment.
- The exempt license plates, unless the vehicle is being transferred to another exempt agency.
- Fees as follows:
- Exempt Agency: Waive fees and penalties due prior to purchase by the exempt agency. Collect fees for duplicates and use tax, if due.
- Exempt to Fee Paid: Collect full-year fees and use tax, if due. A Certificate of Non-Operation (REG 102) form is not required if fees are paid within 20 days of purchase.
- The odometer mileage disclosure on a complying title or on the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), as appropriate.
- A smog certification, if appropriate.
- Assign a vehicle license fee (VLF) class based on the applicant’s purchase price.
- Assign a registration expiration date 12 months from date fees became due, if not transferring to another exempt agency.
- Issue license plates and stickers, as required.
Transfer Only (CVC §4452)—In addition to the procedures listed in the Basic Transfer Requirements section in this chapter, the following must be submitted:
- Statement of Facts (REG 256) form for transfer only.
- Planned Non-Operation ( REG 102) form.
Note: A smog certification is not required.
Transfer from Exempt to Exempt—Follow the Basic Transfer Requirements listed in this section to process a transfer from one exempt agency to another. A new REG 5050 is required from the purchasing exempt agency.
Civil Air Patrol Vehicles—Refer to Chapter 14.
Transfer of California Registed Vehicle to an Exempt Agency:
- In addition to the basic transfer requirements, a transfer to an exempt agency requires a completed and signed Exempt License Plate Request (REG 5050) form.
- Any license plates on the vehicle must also be surrendered since exempt plates will be issued.
Transfer of Exempt Vehicle to a Non-Exempt Buyer:
In addition to the basic transfer requirements:
- State-owned vehicles require a permit to transfer issued by the Department of General Services or the Department of Transportation or the California State Universities and Colleges, as appropriate.
- Full-year registration fees must be submitted in addition to the transfer fee and any other fees due.
- Exempt plates must be surrendered because regular series plates will be issued.