Web Content Viewer


Failure to Pay Violations Frequently Asked Questions


Failure to Pay Violations Frequently Asked Questions

En espaƱol

1Q: What is the new Failure to Pay (FTP) law?
A: Since Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed Assembly Bill 103 (AB 103) into law on June 27, 2017, the DMV no longer accepts FTP notices from courts and cannot suspend or withhold a driver license for that reason.

2Q: Does this new law also apply to Failure To Appear (FTA) violations?
A: No. If you fail to appear in court for a ticket, the court can still send an FTA notification to the DMV, and the DMV can suspend your driving privilege for that reason.

3Q: If I get a ticket, do I still have to pay my traffic ticket fine or court fees?
A: Yes.

4Q: What will happen to my driver license if I fail to pay my ticket fine or court fees?
A: If you fail to pay a ticket fine or court fees, the DMV will not suspend or withhold your driver license or make a notation on your driver record. However, you are still obligated to pay your fines or fees to the court.

5Q: Will FTP notations still appear on my driver record?
A: No. The DMV has not been noting FTP on driver records since June 27, 2017, and has removed all past FTP notations from driver records. This applies to all drivers in the DMV database.

6Q: What if I had my driver license suspended because of FTP before the new law?
A:  The DMV removed FTP suspensions that occurred before June 27, 2017, from all driver records.

7Q: How do I know if the DMV has removed the FTP suspension from my driver record?
A: The DMV sent notifications to customers who had an FTP suspension removed during spring 2018. If you do not receive a notification, you may want to get a copy of your driver record (see Question 8) to confirm the suspension removal. (Note: Some customers still might have a suspended license for other reasons.)

8Q: How can I see my driver record?
A: There are three ways to request a copy of your driver record:

  1. Online at ($2 fee).
  2. By mail by completing a Request For Your Own Driver License Identification Card Or Vehicle/Vessel Registration Information Record (INF 1125) form, available online at ($5 fee).
  3. In person at your local DMV office ($5 fee).

9Q: My driver license is still suspended because I have other violations on my record. What do I do next?
A: The DMV will not restore your driving privilege until you resolve the other suspensions or holds. Some customers receiving the FTP removal notification might still have a suspended license for other reasons, and this action will not resolve those suspensions. For example, a DUI-related suspension will not be affected by this change. To find out if you have other suspensions or holds on your driver record, you can request a copy from the DMV online, by mail or at a DMV field office (see Question #8). The DMV will charge a reissue fee for restoring driving privilege for customers with suspensions other than FTP.

10Q: Do I have to contact the DMV to remove my FTP suspension and restore my driving privilege?
A: No action should be necessary for customers. The DMV removed FTP suspensions and restored driving privileges to eligible Californians. However, if you believe you are eligible and your license is still suspended for an FTP, you can contact the DMV by calling 1-800-777-0133. Also make sure the DMV has your correct address. If you have moved, you can update your address online.

11Q: I have been notified that the DMV removed my FTP suspension thanks to the new law. It was the only suspension on my record. What do I do next to start driving legally?
A: If you have a valid driver license, you can legally drive without any further steps. If your license has expired or you are no longer in possession of it, you must visit a DMV field office to apply for a renewal or a duplicate, and pay the corresponding fee. We always urge customers to make an appointment. Vision and/or knowledge tests might be required. If you are unsure if you have other suspensions on your record, contact the DMV by calling 1-800-777-0133 or request a copy of your driver record (see Question #8) to verify that the DMV restored your driving privilege. 

Complementary Content