Driver License Secondary Review Referral Process

You received a Secondary Review Referral Notice (DL 209A) because the identity/ residency document(s) you submitted during your visit to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) field office needs further review. To initiate the driver license (DL) secondary review referral process, you must call the telephone number provided on the DL 209A. The DL application process cannot continue until you call DMV.

Helpful Tips—Things to Know When You Call DMV

  • Wait 5 business days after receiving the DL 209A before calling and asking for a secondary review.
  • Have your DL application receipt available for reference.
  • Language assistance is available. When you call, please state, “I need language assistance in ___.”

After you call DMV, you will receive a letter by mail, within 30 days, that includes the date, time, and location of the office where your interview will be held.

If you misplace the DL 209A, please contact DMV at 1-800-777-0133 for further assistance.

What Can I Expect at the Interview?

At the time of the interview, your identity/ residency documents will be reviewed, you will be asked a series of questions, and the photograph that was taken at the field office will be verified. The interview process may take up to 1 hour.

If your identity/residency documents can be verified, you will receive a follow-up letter in the mail providing further instructions on how to continue the DL process.

What Documents Will I Need?

Your documentation will be used to determine who you are and where you live. You will need to bring documents that will prove your identity/residency. Requiring these documents helps safeguard the accuracy and integrity of the DL issued by DMV and may prevent someone else from using your information and/or identity. Bring as many of the documents, listed in this brochure to your scheduled interview. All documents provided will be returned to you after the interview.

  • School document(s) including:
    • Public or private
    • Primary, secondary, or post-secondary institution
    • College or university

School documents must include your date of birth, or if a foreign school document, must be sealed by the school and include a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.

  • Documents issued by or filed  with  the United States government or a government within the United States including:
    • Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal form (I-589)
    • Certificate of Eligibility for Non- immigrant Student Status (F-1 or M-1)
    • Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1)
    • Court documents where you are named as a party to the court proceeding
    • Income tax returns
    • DL (valid or expired)
  • Marital status including:
    • Marriage license
    • Domestic partner registrations

Language on a marriage license (other than English) needs to include a certified translation or an affidavit of translation into English.

  • Divorce decrees

Language on a divorce decree (other than English) needs to include a certified translation or an affidavit of translation into English.

  • Foreign document(s) including:
    • Foreign passport
    • Foreign national identification (ID) card
    • Consular ID card
    • Foreign DL

Language on a foreign DL (other than English) needs to include a certified translation or an affidavit of translation into English.

  • ID card

ID card(s) must include a photograph of the applicant issued by the United States government or a government within the United States.

  • Birth document including:
    • Birth certificate
    • Adoption record(s)

Any document(s) presented from the list above that lists your spouse, domestic partner, child, parent, or legal guardian, provided the applicant also provides a birth certificate, adoption record, marriage license, or domestic partnership registration to trace the relationship.

How Do I Obtain Foreign Documents?

If you need to replace or obtain your foreign documents, you may contact your country’s consulate. A consulate office acts on behalf of a foreign nation to aid and assist their citizens residing abroad.

Consulate locations and contact information can change daily. To ensure that you receive the most current consulate information, please visit for a full listing of the consulates within the United States.

What if My Identity/Residency Cannot Be Verified?

DMV will make every effort to verify your identity/residency. If DMV is unable to do so, a letter will be mailed to you stating your DL secondary review referral process has ended. You have a right to request a hearing if DMV is unable to verify your identity/residency. If fraudulent documents are presented, DMV may take further action.

Information About the DMV INV Division

DMV’s INV staff conducts the secondary review process. INV is a leader in law enforcement, with a skilled team of approximately 220 peace officers and more than 130 support staff. INV conducts investigations related to: identity theft, financial crimes, employee misconduct, counterfeit/altered documents, and consumer  complaints  against DMV and occupational licensees. INV staff demonstrates extraordinary customer service by providing quality services with integrity, professionalism, and respect for all employees and consumers.