You need a vehicle transporter license to move vehicles for the purpose of delivering them to dealers, manufacturer sales agents, purchasers, or a new location as requested by the owner.
How to Apply for a Vehicle Transporter License
To apply for your license, submit the following:
- Application for Original Occupational License, Part C (OL 12).
- Original Application for Occupational License, Part A (OL 21A).
- Application for Occupational License Personal History Questionnaire (OL 29B) for each person listed under ownership on form OL 12.
- Live scan fingerprint and Request for Live Scan Service (DMV 8016) for each person completing form OL 29B.
- Fingerprint card (ADM 1316) (out-of-state applicants only). Fingerprint cards may be obtained by calling Occupational Licensing (OL) at (916) 229-3126 or from a DMV inspector office.
- Appointment of Director as Agent for Service of Process (ADM 9050).
- Photographs of the business location (refer to OL photography requirements).
- If filing as a corporation, limited liability company or limited liability partnership owned businesses only, submit a copy of the Statement of Information or Statement of Information LLC filed with the Secretary of State.
Other agencies may also require a:
- Motor carrier permit (MCP).
- Permit from the Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) to move over-wide objects.
- License from the Public Utilities Commission (state transporters).
- License from the United States (U.S.) Interstate Commerce Commission (interstate transporters).
Once you have completed these forms and collected all documents, mail your application packet and fees to your local inspections office.
You will also need to undergo a background investigation.
- $100 non-refundable application fee
- $1 family support program
- $50 for each branch location (if applicable)
- $90 for each auto plate (plus county fees, if applicable)
Take a look at the Transporter Application Checklist (OL 201) to make sure you completed all the steps.
How to Renew a Vehicle Transporter License
To renew your license, complete a Renewal Application (OL 45). Mail your application and fees to the address on the form.
- $85 renewal application fee
- $1 family support program
- $50 renewal fee for each branch location (if applicable)
- $90 special plate renewal fee for each auto plate
- County fees (if applicable)
How to Modify a Vehicle Transporter License
To modify an existing license, complete and submit the relevant form(s):
Submit your completed form and fees to your local inspections office.
- $50 name change fee
- $50 address change fee
- $50 add a branch fee
- $70 officer change fee
Vehicle Transporter Licensing Authority
California Vehicle Code (CVC) §§29, 645, and 11700 et seq. The CVC is available for purchase from DMV.
California Code of Regulations Title 13, Chapter 1.
California Government Code §6157 (a) – (d).
Need something else?
Contact us if you have any questions about applying for occupational licenses. We’re here to help!
Motor Carrier Permit (MCP)
Drivers who transport property, operate large commercial vehicles, transport hazardous materials, etc. also need an MCP.
Learn more about occupational licensing and find helpful resources.