Disabled Person Parking Placard and License Plates

English Version

Who qualifies?

You may qualify for a disabled person (parking) placard or license plates if you have certain medical conditions that a licensed medical professional certifies to on an Application for Disabled Person Placard or Plates (REG 195).

Medical Certifications

  • A licensed physician, surgeon, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or certified nurse midwife that has knowledge of the disease or disability must complete and sign Sections 5, 6, and 6A of the REG 195.
  • A licensed chiropractor may certify to the disability of a person who lost, or significant loss of use of, one or both feet.
  • A licensed optometrist, physician, or surgeon, who specializes in diseases of the eye may certify to visual conditions, including low or no vision.
  • A licensed podiatrist may certify to a disability related to the foot or ankle.

You do not need a Medical Certification under the following conditions:

  • You have lost a foot or both hands, and appear in person at a DMV office to submit a completed REG 195.
  • You currently have a permanent California disabled person placard or license plates, or disabled veteran license plates assigned to your vehicle, and the license plate number is entered in Section 3 of the REG 195.

How to Apply

For a disabled person placard:

  1. Complete and sign Sections 1—4 of the REG 195.
  2. Have a licensed medical professional that has knowledge of the disease and/or disability complete and sign Section 5—6A of the REG 195.
  3. Submit a copy of your state-issued driver’s license or identification card, or one of the identity documents listed at dmv.ca.gov/realid.
  4. Submit fees if requesting a temporary placard.
  5. Submit the original completed and signed application at dmv.ca.gov/portal/dpp-application or mail it to the address on the form.

For disabled person license plates:

  • Follow steps 1—4 above.
  • Provide the current registration card in your name, or documents and fees to register the vehicle in your name.
  • Pay the normal registration fees due on the vehicle.
  • Surrender the license plates currently on the vehicle.

For disabled veteran license plates: You may be eligible if you are a disabled veteran with a 100% Disability Rating, for more information, visit dmv.ca.gov/portal/disabled-veterans.

Types of Disabled Person Parking Placards

  • Permanent parking placard for permanent disabilities. Valid for two years. Expires on June 30 of every odd-numbered year.
  • Temporary parking placard for temporary disabilities. Valid for up to 180 days (6 months) or the date noted by your licensed medical professional on the REG 195, whichever is less. Temporary placards cannot be renewed more than six times consecutively.
  • Travel parking placard for California residents who currently have a permanent disabled person parking placard or license plates, or disabled veteran license plates. Valid for 30 days from the date DMV issues it.
  • Travel parking placard for nonresidents who plan to travel in California and have a permanent disability and/or disabled veteran license plates. Valid for up to 90 days or the date noted by your licensed medical professional on the application, whichever is less.

You are allowed to have only one permanent placard at a time.

Disabled Person Parking Privileges

Once you have a valid disabled person placard or license plates, or disabled veteran license plates, you may park:

  • In parking spaces with the International Symbol of Access (wheelchair symbol).
  • Next to a blue curb authorized for persons with disabilities parking.
  • Next to a green curb ( limited time parking) as long as you wish. There is no time limit with a disabled person placard, license plates, or disabled veteran license plates.
  • In an on-street metered parking space at no charge.
  • In an area that requires a resident or merchant permit.

In addition to parking privileges, service stations must refuel a disabled person’s vehicle at self-service rates unless the service facility has only one employee on duty.

Disabled Person Parking Limitations

You may not park:

  • In spaces marked with a crosshatched pattern next to a parking space with the International Symbol of Access (wheelchair symbol). These spaces are for wheelchair and wheelchair lift access.
  • Next to red curbs, which indicate no stopping, standing, or parking.
  • Next to yellow curbs, which are for commercial vehicles to load and unload passengers or freight.
  • Next to white curbs, which are for loading and unloading passengers or depositing mail in an adjacent mailbox.


You are the only person who can use the parking placard or plates for parking or service station privileges. You may be subject to citation and fines if you:

  • Lend your placard to someone else.
  • Forge a licensed medical professional’s signature.
  • Use someone else’s placard.
  • Possess or display a counterfeit placard or license plates.
  • Provide false information to obtain a placard or license plates.
  • Alter a placard or placard identification card.

Placard abuse can result in cancellation and revocation of the placard, loss of the placard privileges, and penalties.

Permanent Disabled Person Placard Renewal

You do not need to renew your permanent placard. DMV will automatically mail your new placard and identification card to the address on DMV records. Once issued, a permanent disabled person placard does not require recertification by your licensed medical professional.

If you moved, file a change of address with DMV to ensure the placard will be mailed to your new address. Download a change of address form at dmv.ca.gov/addresschange or call 1-800-777-0133 to have the form mailed to you. Return the completed form by mail to the address on it.

DMV’s online service for filing a change of address is not available for placards.

Replacing Your Placard

You may obtain a replacement placard if your original (permanent or temporary) is lost, stolen, or mutilated. You must:

  • Submit a completed and signed Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents (REG 156).
  • Surrender the placard if it is mutilated.
  • Submit a replacement placard fee for temporary placards. Permanent and travel placards are replaced for free.
  • Submit the completed application at dmv.ca.gov/portal/dpp-application or mail to:

    DMV Placard
    P.O. Box 997600, MS D238
    Sacramento, CA 95899-7600

You will receive your parking placard in 4—6 weeks after you submit the completed form.