Acquiring and Dismantling Vehicles
2.040 When a Vehicle Can Be Dismantled (VC §11520)
A vehicle can be dismantled:
- Ten days after the Dismantlers Notice of Acquisition (REG 42) is mailed to the department.
- Any time after the Report of Vehicle To Be Dismantled (REG 42), evidence of ownership, and license plates or Dismantler’s Notice of License Plate Destruction are delivered to the department.
- Immediately, by a licensed dismantler, without regard to the 10-day waiting period, if the vehicle:
- was acquired from a city or county under a local abatement program (VC §§ 22660 & 22664).
- already has “junk” status on the DMV record.