Section 6 of 11
Quick Reference Charts
6.010 California-Titled Vehicles
Definition: A vehicle that was last registered and titled in California.
Notice of Acquisition (REG 42): Required
Report of Vehicle To Be Dismantled (REG 42): Required
When can the vehicle be dismantled?
- Ten days after the Dismantlers Notice of Acquisition (REG 42) is mailed to the department.
- Any time after the Report of Vehicle To Be Dismantled (REG 42), evidence of ownership, and license plates or Dismantler’s Notice of License Plate Destruction (REG 42) are delivered to the department.
Documents required to obtain junk status:
Submit to the department:
- Report of Vehicle To Be Dismantled (REG 42).
- The California Certificate of Title, or if the title has been lost, an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227).
- The legal owner/lienholder’s release signature on an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227) must be notarized. See Section 4.020 for exceptions.
- If the vehicle was purchased from someone other than the registered owner, as shown on the Certificate of Title, bill(s) of sale to complete the chain of ownership showing the dismantler as the latest owner.