1.070 Separation of Businesses and Records (VC §11509[a, 3], 11520[a, 5])
- An automobile dismantler must maintain a clear physical division between the business of dismantling vehicles and any other type of business conducted at the same location.
For example, if a dismantler is also licensed by the department as a dealer, all vehicles held for sale or resale as a dealer must be distinctly separated from those to be dismantled.
- A dismantler must maintain a separate business record of every vehicle acquired for dismantling. The record shall contain:
- The name and address of the person from whom the vehicle was acquired.
- The date the vehicle was acquired.
- The license plate number last assigned to the vehicle.
- A brief description, including make, type, and vehicle identification number.
- Records must be kept separate from any other dismantler’s business records. For example, records showing inventory and vehicles dismantled under the dismantler’s license must be distinctly separated from the records showing the inventory and sales made under the dealer’s license.
- Records must be kept for the current year plus the three years prior.