Section 14 of 38
Chapter 13: Commercial Vehicles
13.025 Conversion From Auto to Commercial License Plates
Chapter 13 Commercial Vehicles
13.025 Conversion From Auto to Commercial License Plates (CVC §260)
The following vehicles may be registered with auto or commercial license plates:
- Pickup trucks with a camper permanently attached body type code (BTC) PM.
- Station wagons, refer to the Station Wagons and Multipurpose Vehicles sections in this chapter.
- Passenger-type vehicles transporting persons for hire.
The prior history fee for passenger vehicles being changed to “TAXI” is not collected until the body type is changed from “TAXI” to a regular auto body type and auto license plates are issued.
Clearance Requirements—When converting from auto to commercial plates, the following must be submitted:
- The Certificate of Title.
- A weight certificate, unless the Certificate of Title shows a weight code.
- A Request for Commercial Registration of a Passenger Vehicle (REG 590) form for passenger-type vehicles transporting persons for hire, compensation, or profit, unless the vehicle is registered in the name of a taxicab company.
- A completed a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form explaining that the vehicle is registered in the name of an individual y that is also the name of the business.
- A REG 256 with the Statement for Vehicle Body Change section completed if the camper was removed from a pickup truck and the value of a camper is $2,000 or more.
- Any fees due. There is not a fee for the change of license plates.
The procedures below must be followed:
- Change VLF Class on the title/registration to show the current market value of the pickup only if a camper valued at $2000 or more was removed.
- Prorate the weight fees from the date of first operation “for hire.” Weight fees must be paid within 20 days of the date the fees become due to avoid a penalty. This includes station wagons with commercial registration.
- Pick up the auto license plates previously assigned to the vehicle.