Section 21 of 38
Chapter 20: Duplicates and Substitutes
20.010 Certificates of Title and Transfer of Ownership
Chapter 20 Duplicates and Substitutes
20.010 Certificates of Title and Transfer of Ownership (CVC §§4459, 5752, and 5911)
The basic transfer requirements listed in Chapter 11 apply when a REG 227 is used to transfer ownership of a vehicle, when the California Certificate of Title is lost, stolen, mutilated, or illegible.
The following must be submitted:
- A Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) to report the odometer mileage. Refer to Chapter 11.
- A properly completed REG 227 endorsed for transfer by the seller and buyer:
- The registered owner (RO) and legal owner/lienholder (LO) names of record must be shown.
- The LO’s releasing signature must be notarized for a vehicle three model years or older.
- Section 3, Missing Title Statement, must be completed y signed as follows:
|If the Title Was/Is
||The Certification Is Signed by the
|Lost by/stolen from the RO or lost after the LO released interest
|Lost by/stolen from the buyer,
|Illegible or mutilated,
||RO of record or the buyer.
|Not received by the RO or LO after issuance,
||The RO or LO, as appropriate
Note: The certification may be signed by a person authorized with power of attorney. A REG 227 must be completed by the LO of record for a vehicle two model years old or newer or by the RO when there is no LO on record.