Chapter 25: Permits and Decals
25.010 Disabled Person (DP) Window Decals For Vehicles With Wheelchair Lifts or Carriers
Chapter 25 Permits and Decals
25.010 Disabled Person (DP) Window Decals for Vehicles With Wheelchair Lifts or Carriers (CVC §5201)
DP window decals displaying the license plate number assigned to the vehicle are available for no fee to qualified customers who have a wheelchair lift or carrier on their vehicle, which obstructs the view of the rear license plate.
To qualify for a decal, the applicant must:
- Be a DP placard holder or transport person(s) with a DP placard.
- Own a vehicle that is assigned DP or Disabled Veteran (DV) License Plates.
The following must be submitted:
- A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form completed by the applicant stating:
- A window decal is requested.
- The eligible DP placard or DP/DV License Plate number.
- The license plate number of the vehicle to which the decal will be affixed, as well as the vehicle’s make, vehicle identification number, and year model.
- The applicant’s name, mailing address, and signature.
- The REG 256 by mail to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Special Processing Unit, MS D238
PO Box 932345
Sacramento, CA 94232-3450
A fee is not due.
When an application is received for DP window decals with wheelchair lifts:
- Inform the applicant that the window decal will be mailed directly to them within six to eight weeks. This time frame allows for manufacturing and processing the decal.