Chapter 21: Special Plates
21.110 Foreign Organization License Plates
Chapter 21 Special License Plates
21.110 Foreign Organization License Plates (CVC §5006.5)
Foreign Organization License Plates are only issued to automobiles that are currently registered to an officer or designated employee of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO). The license plates have a December 31 expiration date and must be renewed annually. Vehicles assigned Foreign Organization License Plates are exempt from all fees (use tax included), except fees for transfer, duplicate certificates, license plates, and stickers. Foreign Organization License Plates are not available as a personalized license plate.
All information regarding an individual’s eligibility is provided to DMV by the American Institute in Taiwan, which is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia.
Original Sequential License Plate Application—the following must be submitted:
- The California Certificate of Title or the documents required to register the vehicle to the applicant.
- A Miscellaneous Certification (REG 256A) form with the TECO, R&TC §10781.1 section completed.
- A photocopy of the applicant’s Tax Exemption Card issued by the California Board of Equalization.
- A photocopy of the applicant’s ID card issued by the U.S. Department of State.
- A smog certification, if appropriate.
- The out-of-state/foreign country license plates assigned to the vehicle.
Exchange—Existing personalized license plates may not be exchanged to Foreign Organization personalized license plates.
Renewal— No additional fee for renewal.
Reassignment—The license plates cannot be transferred between vehicles.
Retention—The license plates cannot be retained.
Transfer of Ownership—The license plates must be surrendered to DMV if the vehicle is transferred.