Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 17 of 38

Chapter 16: Special Equipment

16.005 Dealer/Manufacturer SE Plates (VC §§5016.5 and 36115(b))

SE dealers and manufacturers are not required to be occupational licensees of DMV. SE dealers and manufacturers may operate or move special construction equipment, tow dollies, special mobile equipment, cemetery equipment, or implements of husbandry upon the highways during the delivery of, or during the demonstration for the sale of, such equipment provided an identification (ID) plate is displayed upon the equipment. A special series of plates is issued to SE dealers and manufacturers pursuant to VC §5016. The plates identify the dealer/manufacturer by appropriate abbreviations in addition to a distinguishing number. More than one plate may be issued to a SE dealer/manufacturer.

The following must be submitted:

  • A completed Application for Special Identification Plate Dealer or Manufacturer (REG 353) form for each plate being requested. The local business license (city or county) number must be included.
  • The required fee(s). Refer to Appendix 1F for fees.

Surrender of Plate(s) for Dealer/Manufacturer No Longer in Business—Any dealer/manufacturer plates and ID cards issued under the provisions of VC §5016 must be surrendered within 10 days of the date a dealer or manufacturer ceases business with a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form regarding termination of business as a dealer/manufacturer.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Destroy the surrendered plates.
  • Send the ID card and REG 256 to the Special Processing Unit (SPU) in DMV headquarters.

Substitute (Special Equipment) SE Plate/Stickers—Refer to the Substitute Plate/Stickers and/or Replacement ID Card section in Chapter 20.