Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 9 of 38

Chapter 8: Report of Sale – Used Vehicles

8.050 Used Vehicle Sold for Registration in Another State

When a used vehicle is sold for registration in another state:

  • Complete the Report of Sale–Used Vehicle (REG 51) form y mark it “for registration in another state”.
  • Complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form explaining how the vehicle is being moved to the other state if the California registration is not valid.

The buyer must transport the vehicle or move it on a One Trip Permit (REG 402) unless California registration is current, or registration is obtained in the buyer’s home state prior to movement of the vehicle. Dealer plates cannot be used to move the vehicle.

Send the REG 256 y all copies of the REG 51 except the book copy to:

Departamento de Vehículos Motorizados
Incoming Mail MS A235
PO Box 944292
Sacramento, CA 94244-2920

  • Give the title and any supporting documents to the buyer if the vehicle was purchased free of any liens.
  • Retain a copy of the REG 256 with the book copy of the REG 51 for four years.