Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 13 of 38

Chapter 12: Nonresident Vehicles

12.075 Lost Applications (VC §1651)

Reconstruct any nonresident registration application (clearing or suspense) that is lost after being sent to DMV headquarters and issue certificates with the least possible inconvenience to the customer.

The following must be submitted:

  • A completed REG 343.
  • Evidence of the original transaction (receipt, etc.).
  • A completed REG 31.
  • A photocopy of the REG 51 or the operating copy, if vehicle was sold by a dealer.
  • The odometer disclosure statement, Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), or photocopy.
  • For commercial vehicles, a photocopy or carbon copy of the weight certificate. If a copy is not available, but the vehicle weight can be determined from a breakdown of the fees paid, accept a REG 256 certifying to the unladen weight of the vehicle in lieu of a new weight certificate.
  • A smog inspection, if needed. If the electronic smog certification cannot be verified from the vehicle record, the customer’s vehicle inspection report (VIR) is required.
  • Photocopies of any other original documents submitted, if possible.
  • A REG 256 certifying:
    • The out-of-state title was or was not surrendered and California certificates were not received.
    • Where the vehicle was last registered and the approximate registration expiration date unless fees were collected based on the purchase date.
    • There are no liens against the vehicle other than shown on the application.
    • The weight certificate (for commercial vehicles) was included with the application giving the unladen weight and number of axles.
  • Any fees due.