Chapter 10: Renewals
10.105 Parking/Toll Violations on Record
Chapter 10 Renewal Instructions
10.105 Parking/Toll Violations on Record (CVC §§4760 and 4761)
Registration renewal cannot be completed for a vehicle if the owner or lessee has unpaid parking/toll violations on record. All violations shown on the record must be cleared by the issuing agency or paid with the renewal fees before the renewal can be completed.
Erroneous Citations—Customers claiming citations are not theirs must resolve the claim with the parking agency. DMV cannot remove a citation without a release from the issuing parking agency or payment of the violation fine.
Proof of Payment to DMV—The owner may use the receipt issued by DMV when they paid the parking violation fees to DMV as proof of payment to reduce the possibility of the vehicle being impounded or immobilized. The receipt shows each
parking and administrative fee paid.
Refunds—If parking/toll violation fees are paid to a parking/toll agency y DMV, the refund must come from the parking/toll agency.
Renewal notices list up to three parking/toll violation fees and show the remaining number of citations, as well as the total fees due for those citations on the record at the time the notice was printed. Citation numbers on the renewal notice may have
additional numbers or letters before or after the actual citation number.
The following must be submitted:
- A Notice of Payment of Parking Violation (REG 194R) form.
- A Notice of Disposition of Multiple Parking/Toll Violations (REG 197) form.
- A parking agency cash register receipt with the agency name or code, the citation number, and the date paid.
- A letter, on the parking agency letterhead, showing the citation number and the date paid or disposition of the citation.
- A cancelled check (both sides, if a photocopy is submitted) made payable to the appropriate parking agency showing the same bail amount as on the vehicle record and the citation number.
Examine the proof of payment presented for the parking agency’s name, agency code number, citation number, and date paid or citation disposition. If the validity or acceptability of the document is in doubt, authorized employees may call the parking agency to verify disposition of a violation.