Chapter 24: Vessels
24.175 Vessels Not Required to Be Registered
Chapter 24 Vessels
24.175 Vessels Not Required to be Registered (CVC §9873)
The following vessels are not required to be registered:
- Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
- Sailboats eight feet or less in length without motors.
- A public vessel of the United States, another state, or subdivision of another state.
- A ship’s lifeboat. (A dinghy is not a lifeboat.)
- A vessel of another country temporarily using the waters of this state.
- A vessel bearing an assigned number in full force, which has been issued pursuant to federal law or a federally-approved numbering system of another state, provided it has not changed its state of principal use and has not been within this state for a period in excess of 90 consecutive days.
- Nonmotorized surfboards over eight feet in length, propelled by a sail that requires the operator to hold the mast upright.
- A vessel not using or on the waters of this state.
- Racing vessels brought into this state exclusively for racing purposes and remaining for less than 90 days providing the state of origin also exempts such vessels (CCR §190.19).