Section 26 of 38
Chapter 25: Permits and Decals
25.035 Nonresident Daily Commuter Permit (REG 150)
Chapter 25 Permits and Decals
25.035 Nonresident Daily Commuter Permit (REG 150)(CVC §§6700.25 and 6700.3)
Nonresident Daily Commuter (CVC §435.5)—A person who is a resident of Arizona, Nevada, or Oregon who enters and leaves California on a daily basis for the purpose of employment and whose vehicle is principally garaged out of this state is a nonresident daily commuter.
Anyone having an established place of business in California does not qualify.
A nonresident daily commuter must obtain a REG 150 from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to operate a vehicle in California without California registration.
To qualify for a REG 150, the vehicle must:
- Be a passenger or two-axle commercial vehicle commonly referred to as a pickup truck with an unladen weight of 8,000 pounds or less.
- Vans registered as passenger vehicles in the foreign state qualify.
- Commercially-registered vans do not qualify.
- Be currently registered in the owner’s home state.
- Not be operated in this state for more than 35 air miles from the border at any point.
- Not be used in the course of a business in this state or be used to transport property other than personal property.
The applicant must submit the following:
- A completed REG 150.
- The permit fee. The fee is not prorated and there is no penalty. Refer to Appendix 1F for fees.