Chapter 25: Permits and Decals
25.060 Temporary Permit for Exempt School Bus (REG 473)
Chapter 25 Permits and Decals
25.060 Temporary Permit for Exempt School Bus (REG 473)(CVC §§5010 and 9266)
When a motor vehicle leased to a school district for use as a school bus (as defined in CVC §545) temporarily reverts to the possession and control of the lessor and becomes subject to registration, the lessor may, as an alternative to registration, secure a temporary permit to operate the vehicle for one or more calendar months. The exempt license plates will continue to be displayed on the vehicle.
The following must be submitted:
- A completed School Bus Registration or Permit Application (REG 123) form which identifies the exempt vehicle by the vehicle identification number, make, and exempt license plate number. The expiration date must be written at the top of the application.
- A completed Request for Commercial Registration of a Passenger Vehicle (REG 590) form.
- A weight certificate, if the vehicle weighs less than 10,001 pounds. If the vehicle weighs more than 10,000 pounds, the estimated unladen weight is required and may be shown on a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form.
- A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form completed by the owner, if the vehicle weighs 6,001 pounds or more unladen.
- The fees due. Fees are computed at the rate of 1/10 (10 percent) of the annual fee for each month or fraction of a month. Fees are not prorated for any fraction of a calendar month. Fees do not have a late penalty. Refer to Appendix 1F for fees.