Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 27 of 38

Chapter 26: Refunds

26.050 Refunds on Vehicle License Fees (VLF) for Nonresident Military (NRM) Owners (VC §42231)

A NRM vehicle owner may complete an Application for Refund (ADM 399) form requesting a refund of VLF paid. The ADM 399 must give the make, vehicle identification number (VIN), and license plate number of the vehicle, the year(s) for which a refund is requested, and the NRM owner’s out-of-state residence address at the time the fees were paid.

If a refund request is submitted for VLF paid in the current registration year— The following must be submitted:

If the vehicle is titled in California, a corrected California Certificate of Title showing the NRM status will be issued.