Chapter 19: Salvage – Nonrepairable – Junk Vehicles
19.025 Junking a Vehicle—Dismantler
Chapter 19 Junk, Salvage, Nonrepairable
19.025 Junking a Vehicle—Dismantler (CVC §11520)
A vehicle can be dismantled:
- Ten days after the Dismantlers Notice of Acquisition (REG 42-bottom portion) is mailed to DMV.
- Any time after the Report of Vehicle to be Dismantled (REG 42-upper portion), evidence of ownership, license plates, or Dismantler’s Notice of License Plate Destruction are delivered to DMV.
- Immediately, if the vehicle:
- Is acquired from a city or county under a local abatement program (CVC §§22660 and 22664).
- Already has a “junk” status on DMV’s record.
The following must be submitted:
- The original and duplicate copy of the Report of Vehicle to be Dismantled (REG 42) form.
- The evidence of ownership.
- The last-issued license plate(s) or the Dismantler’s Notice of License Plate Destruction (REG 42) form.
- A Board of Equalization Certificate of Excise Tax Clearance (BOE 1138) form for commercial vehicles with unladen weight of more than 7,000 pounds powered by fuel other than gasoline or diesel (CR&TC §§8608 & 8995).
- Dismantlers are exempt from odometer disclosure reporting. However, include any that are submitted.
Registration and/or transfer fees are not due from a licensed dismantler. However, do not refund any fees that have already been paid.
The procedures below must be followed:
- DMV will validate the duplicate copy of the REG 42 by line date stamping the front of the form.
- Retain the validated copy as proof of reporting and authority to dismantle the vehicle.
- Do not refund fees on file.