Chapter 13: Commercial Vehicles
13.115 Station Wagons
Chapter 13 Commercial Vehicles
13.115 Station Wagons (CVC §§585 and 9404)
A station wagon is a dual-purpose vehicle to transport persons in such a manner that the seats may be removed or folded out of the way to increase the property carrying space within the vehicle.
A hatchback-type vehicle with a rear seat that folds down or is removable and a door in the rear that provides direct access to the vehicle’s interior cargo-carrying area when the seat is folded down or removed may be considered a station wagon.
Station wagons are not required or permitted to be registered as commercial vehicles except when:
- Used to transport persons “for hire.”
- Registered in the name of a business.
- Used by an owner who is engaged in a bona fide business and the vehicle is registered to the business.
- The owner certifies they are required to own and operate a station wagon registered to them as a requirement of employment at a bona fide business.
“Engaged in business” means engaged in a bona fide trade, business, or commerce, or a profession licensed for measurement of land, construction quantities, of the dimension of structures. It does not include any other type of profession.
In addition to the usual registration requirements, the following must be submitted:
- A Request for Commercial Registration of a Passenger Vehicle (REG 590) form completed by the owner. If the owner’s name is the business name, that must be noted on the REG 590.
- A weight certificate.
The dealer’s certification on the Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form is acceptable for a new station wagon with an unladen weight of 8,000 pounds or less.