Section 24 of 38
Chapter 23: Bonds and Certifications
23.030 Notarized Documents
Notary Expiration Date—A California notary’s commission date is required for notarized signatures on:
- An Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (REG 227) form.
- A Lien Satisfied/Legal Owner/Title Holder Release (REG 166) form, submitted in conjunction with a REG 227.
Officers of the Armed Forces—Commissioned officers on active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces may perform all notary public acts for any person serving in or with the U.S. Armed Forces and/or their spouse, wherever they are stationed
(CCC §1183.5). This includes:
- U.S. Army or Air Force—Any officer approved by the Judge Advocate General.
- U.S. Marine Corps—Any officer at or above the rank of captain.
- U.S. Navy or Coast Guard—Any commanding officer or executive officer of a ship, shore station, or establishment, and any officer at or above the rank of lieutenant, senior grade.