Section 16 of 38
Chapter 15: Off-Highway Vehicles
15.155 Utility-Terrain Vehicle (UTV)
15.155 Utility-Terrain Vehicle (UTV) CVC §531
A motor vehicle:
- Designed for operation off of the highway.
- Suspended on four tires.
- Has a steering wheel for steering control.
- Has one seat to accommodate a driver and one passenger sitting side by side.
The vehicle identification number analysis (VINA) program may erroneously generate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) body type model (BTM) as defined in California Vehicle Code §111 for a UTV, because the definition of a UTV varies from state to state.
If BTM ATV generates for a UTV, the procedures below must be followed:
- Follow the procedures found in the Original OHV Registration Application section in this chapter.
- Change the BTM to 4W.
For a UTV used exclusively in agricultural operations (implements of husbandry), refer to the Special Equipment (SE) Identification Plates section in Chapter 16.
A new body type model (BTM) “RO” was created for recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs).
An ROV has:
- A steering wheel for steering control.
- Nonstraddle (bucket or bench) seats for the operator and all passengers.
- A maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.
- An engine displacement equal to or less than 1000cc.
The procedures below must be followed:
When registering an original off-highway vehicle (OHV), continue to follow current procedures in this chapter. If the application is for an ROV:
- Use BTM “RO” and body type code (BTC) “Y.”
- Fees are due for the appropriate indicia issued.
If the ROV is amphibious and requires dual registration (OHV and vessel):
- Follow current procedures in Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual (VIRP), Chapter 27 when a completed Application for Registration Number Certificate of Ownership and Certificate of Undocumented Vessel (BOAT 101) form is submitted.
- Process the OHV application first.
- Use BTM “AP” (amphibian) for the OHV application and vessel type “A” (amphibious) for the vessel application.
A California Certificate of Title is issued only to OHVs for dual registration.