Chapter 15: Off-Highway Vehicles
15.100 OHV Verification
15.100 OHV Verification (CVC §38041)
The following applies to OHV verifications:
- The Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form may only be completed by an authorized DMV employee for new and used off-highway motorcycles converting to on-highway or dual registration in order to verify the emission label and determine if the motorcycle can be converted to on-highway use. Refer to the OHV Motorcycle Verification information in the Conversion from OHV to On-Highway Registration section in this chapter.
- The REG 31 for a motorcycle must include the engine y frame numbers.
- A clear pencil tracing of a snowmobile vehicle identification number (VIN) may be accepted in lieu of a physical verification. (Neither are required when an Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form is submitted.)
- A REG 31 is not required when evidence of prior California registration or identification is submitted and there is a vehicle record on DMV’s database.
- A REG 31 is required when there is not a record for the vehicle on the database (unavailable records).
- If a small off-road engine (SORE) label is found, on the REG 31 check the “See Remarks” box in the Emission Label section and write “Small Off-Road Engine emission label” in the Remarks section. Refer to the Original OHV Registration Applications section in this chapter.