Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 9 of 38

Chapter 8: Report of Sale – Used Vehicles

8.070 Public Agency Sales

When a vehicle is sold to a public agency:

  • The application copy of the Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397), or Report of Sale-Used Vehicle (REG 51), and any supporting documents may be given to the agency/agency representative, if requested.
  • The Dealer Notice copy must be mailed to DMV before giving the application/documents to the public agency.
  • The customer/window copy is displayed on the vehicle as usual.