Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 12 of 38

Chapter 11: Transfers

11.090 Legal Owner (Lienholder) Transfers (VC §5603)

The following must be submitted:

  • The Certificate of Title endorsed as follows:
If the Transaction Is aThe Certificate of Title Must Be Completed as Follows
Change of lienholder and the registered owner(s) remains the same
  • Signature of the lienholder on line 2. When a Lien Satisfied/Title Holder Release (REG 166) form is used to release the lienholder’s interest, write “L/S att” on line 2.

  • If a vehicle is two model years old or newer, the California Certificate of Title is the only document that can be used to release the lien.

  • The name and address of the new lienholder entered on the back of the title.

  • The registered owner’s signature is not required on the title. For change of lienholder in conjunction with a goldenrod conversion.
    Sole owner(s) adding a lienholder
  • Signature of the sole owner(s) on line 2.
  • The name and address of the new lienholder on the back of the title.
  • If a sole owner releases on an Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title (REG 227) form, notarization is not required.
    If the registered owner signs line 1 in error, they must complete a Statement of Error or Erasure (REG 101) form or complete and sign the new registered owner section on the back of the title. In such cases, write “no change of registered owner” next to the signature on line 1.
    • Other documentation, as required.
    • A transfer fee and any other fees due.