Section 20 of 38
Chapter 19: Salvage – Nonrepairable – Junk Vehicles
19.055 Reregistration of Vehicles Withdrawn From Service
Chapter 19 Junk, Salvage, Nonrepairable
19.055 Reregistration of Vehicles Withdrawn From Service (CVC §9408)
The owner of a California-registered commercial vehicle withdrawn from service in California before the vehicle’s registration expiration date may receive credit for any unused weight fee amount on another vehicle. The sale of a vehicle does not constitute withdrawal from service.
The Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA) Motor Vehicle Fund fee cannot be prorated or used for weight fee credit calculation.
“Withdrawn from service” means:
- Removing the vehicle from service with no intention of operating it on the California highways during the remainder of the registration year for which registration is valid.
- Dismantling or junking a vehicle.
The following must be submitted:
- A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form. The California Certificate of Title.
- A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form from the vehicle owner concerning the previous registration.
- Weight fees prorated from the date of first operation after the date of withdrawal from service up to the registration expiration date and:
|If the Vehicle Is Reregistered in
|Los same registration year as withdrawn
Do not collect the registration fee and vehicle license fee (VLF).
|A subsequent registration year
||Collect the registration fee and VLF.
A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form is not required.
Regular nonresident clearance and fees are required for a vehicle registered out of state in the interim.