Section 6 of 38
Chapter 5: Odometer Mileage Reporting
5.075 Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262)
The Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) is used for odometer disclosure when:
- The title is a noncomplying title.
- An Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (REG 227) form is required and is part of the application.
- The title is unavailable at the time of transfer.
- There is an error or alteration in the odometer disclosure section of a complying title or Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form.
- There are multiple transfers.
The REG 262 must be completed in ink, not pencil, as follows:
Section 1: Vehicle/Vessel Identification—The complete vehicle identification number (VIN) must be shown or the application will be returned as incomplete.
Section 2: Bill of Sale—Provided for convenience and may be used whenever a bill of sale is required. The sellers’s signature is required in Section 4 when used as a bill of sale only. This section is not required to be completed when the REG 262 is used for odometer disclosure only. The Bill of Sale (REG 135) form is available online.
Section 3: Odometer Disclosure Statement—Completed at the time of sale by the seller disclosing the mileage and signed by both buyer and seller. Errors or alterations void the odometer disclosure statement. A new REG 262 for the odometer disclosure is required with a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form explaining why a separate odometer disclosure is attached.
Important: If the Bill of Sale (Section 2) and/or Power of Attorney (Section 5) information was completed, retain the REG 262 with the application even when the Odometer Disclosure Statement (Section 3) contains an error/alteration.
Section 4: Buyer and Seller Information—Completed by the buyer and seller:
- A business name may be completed by hand in ink, typewritten, or computer-generated. The authorized agent’s countersignature must be handwritten in ink.
- The printed name(s) y signature(s) of buyer and/or seller must be completed by hand and in ink.
Section 5: Power of Attorney—Provided for convenience and may be used whenever a power of attorney is required. This section is not required to be completed when used for odometer purposes only, but is required when an attorney-in-fact signs on the title other than for the odometer. The Power of Attorney (REG 260) form is available online.
Return REG 262 forms not completed correctly to the customer.