Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 25 of 38

Chapter 24: Vessels

24.035 Change From Documented To Undocumented

For a vessel released from documentation, the following must be submitted:

  • The original registration requirements listed in the Original Vessel Registration section in this chapter.
  • The release from documentation letter issued to the vessel owner by the U.S. Coast Guard.
  • Any bill(s) of sale necessary to establish a complete chain of ownership from the owner named in the release letter.
  • A new CF number must be issued (even to a previously undocumented vessel).

Replacing a Lost Release from Documentation Letter—If the release from documentation letter is lost, the owner may request a replacement by providing the name of the vessel, name of the last documented owner, and document number, if known. Requests may be sent to:

National Vessel Documentation Center
792 TJ Jackson Dr.
Falling Waters, WV 25419
Telephone: 1-800-799-8362 (7:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. EST)